Thursday, June 1, 2023

Trends

 What didn’t go well over my Memorial Day holiday was my sleep cycle; I did not sleep well during our campout and I continue to struggle. The Fitbit monitors sleep quality (don’t ask me how?) but I do notice a correlation between REM sleep and how rested I feel when I drag myself off the mattress in the morning.


Tuesday night I dosed myself with all the voodoo I could think of: CBD, melatonin, chamomile tea - & didn’t do too badly - I’d score my sleep as a “B”.


The secret seems to be a period of REM sleep that’s greater than or equal to 90 minutes


Last night I struggled to fall asleep as I was coughing up a lung - finally did the old Vicks Vapor Rub on chest & feet trick, still tossed & turned a lot.


According to the Fitbit, I only scored 38 minutes of REM sleep so no wonder I feel crappy! But my son will be amused by my “69” sleep score.

On to bigger and better things today - hopefully this dude will text me back about a couple of ball pythons he was interested in…

5 comments:

  1. I don't have a lot of faith in Fibit's ability to monitor much of anything really, though I do have one. I use it mainly as a motivator. I have trouble sleeping a lot. I can tell when I do sleep well which is not often enough and certainly not right now. I'm tired.

    I hope the snakes sell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you know MY story - I'm only wearing the Fitbit to comply with the research study, but I am interested in the data which it might provide me...The sleep-quality information is interesting but I'm not holding it to 100% correlation.

      Delete
    2. I can totally relate as I also look at all of the data with the eye of a skeptic. Plus I love graphs. Also maps. Always have. I collect maps, in fact. I loved geography which I don't often tell people as then they think I'm really crazy. LOL. I slept better last night - well enough to remember my stupid dream - so I will have to check to see what my Fitbit said about that.

      Delete
    3. (My iPad won’t allow me to identify myself but it’s Val of course)
      I too love maps - I was pouring over my road atlas because one of my trail riding buddies who couldn’t make it to San Angelo was advising me of a route skirting Abilene and dropping south through “Brant”. For the life of me, I could find no such place and then I saw it - the tiny town of Brontë! (Which Bobbie pronounced as “Brant” with her Texas drawl) 😂🤣

      Delete
    4. LOL. I was reading a book about a murder which happened in my area (which I might add was scathing regarding this area and deservedly so) and it mentioned that the "rednecks" here have a southern accent. The author was from Oklahoma so maybe he encountered some Southerners who moved here, which is possible as we are only 80-100 miles in 2 directions from the south and a lot of people from Missouri and Kentucky do end up moving here. But then so do people from Texas, Tennessee, Mississippi, etc. (Missouri is geographically a Midwestern state but most of the people there think of themselves as Southerners.) America is a melting pot. There are so many regional accents in America. Anyone who knows any St.Louis natives is aware that they don't sound Southern nor to they sound like people from Chicago. I don't think we sound Southern either. I like accents. The book pointed out that we name towns here a lot after places in the Bible and don't pronounce them correctly. True but then not being able to spell or pronounce words correctly is a fairly common for all of us as you well know. I had no idea how to pronounce Guillain-Barre. I don't think I would have found Bronte from Brant. LOL.

      Delete