Tuesday, June 27, 2023

1966

 57 years ago today, my second husband was born. I came across him this morning walking across the backyard in his underwear, drinking his first cuppa coffee - quite a sight! (Sorry, no photographs)

I was so wrecked when I staggered away from my clinic last night that I left his BD card on the corner of my desk, so last night I made him a homemade one - actually just a sheet of notebook paper with an apology and a voucher to take him out to dinner! But of course, tonight he has his fire department meeting - perhaps he will let me take him somewhere Wednesday night?

I’ve been a fire department widow for over a decade now - I don’t exactly recall when my dearly departed friend Ginger asked my permission before handing off her duties to my husband: “You know, this takes up a lot of time!” Which it does - all for a good cause as our rural volunteer fire departments are understaffed & poorly funded; Peran oversees several fundraising efforts each year just trying to keep things afloat.

But this has been good for Peran as well - I think it has anchored him in our community, given him a taste of public service - now everyone knows “the veterinarian’s husband”! Not to mention I get a small fraction of reflected glory for myself ;-)

A lot of things piling up on me now in this Towering Inferno of a summer. My mother seems to be acquiescing to my wishes to move her to the newer Arabella facility in Red Oak where I wanted her to go originally - she could still keep her little dog, but would be in the main building with a higher level of care, more or less “forced” into socializing since she’d have to go to the café area for her meals. It would mean downsizing to a studio apartment which she will regret, but I really think it’s for the best. The next challenge will be convincing her to transfer some funds for this operation - obviously I need to secure a financial power of attorney. This will be tonight‘s project since Peran will be tied up in his meeting. Step by step!




5 comments:

  1. So many things in life we are NOT given a choice, as your butterfly meme states. Glad you're figuring it out, one step, one decision, at a time!

    Hugs! And Happy Birthday to Peran!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your memes.
    Nothing like the vision of an unfettered man in his undies... ;-)
    Happy birthday to the youngster.
    Good news on mom and good luck.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to Peran! I tend to go outside not totally dressed either sometimes so I get it. Benny frets about it but I have my "naughty bits" mostly covered so who cares. LOL.

    A friend of mine was the fire chief of our rural fire department. We have met some of the members of the volunteer fire department here and they are great people. The best!

    So glad your mom is considering this. I hope it works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My GF Karen & I used to LOVE to joke around about our little nudist colonies - both of us live far enough off the beaten path that we could traipse out to feed our ponies au natural (I rarely would go "Full Monty", but I often went topless in hot weather)

      Delete
    2. LOL. We live in the woods so when the leaves are on the trees we do have some privacy but we also have a nosy neighbor who a lot of people say is a pervert. I often threatened to pick green beans naked as it is so hot here when they are ready. Miserable.

      Delete