Monday, June 19, 2023

Juneteenth

 Reva the Rottweiler arrived safely in Concord NH (a Petco adoption event) - I do not know if someone had already spoken up for her? Many other photos of happy adoptive pet families posted, I can only hope she achieves the same…

Reva my SIL is returning from her sabbatical, understandably anxious to reunite with HER dogs. She’s asked me many times to visit, “maybe when things settle down” - ain’t that a laugh?

My mother seems unaware that yesterday was Father’s Day - I sketched out her financial outlays but so far she is unmoved, so I’ll talk to the home health agency to see what we can line up in Sonia’s absence.

And I had a brief distraction, meeting up with my young colleague Dr B to see “Guardians of the Galaxy 3” yesterday afternoon. I’d been forewarned that the animal experimentation scenes were hard to take - leaving me wondering how this film (marketed heavily to children) got a PG-13 rating? I’m no conspiracy theorist, but we do seem to be pushing adult themes onto our kids more & more, whether through sex or violence, or both! Of course I’m guilty to some degree, taking my son when he was younger to several R-rated flicks which he begged to see - but he saw them in MY company & we discussed things afterwards.

Received a few text messages from Mijo over the weekend, didn’t get to see him. We attended a surprise BD party for one of the ladies in my trail riding group Saturday night - an outdoor venue in Midlothian which featured a solid rockabilly band. We ladies had us a nice dance party with their last couple of songs - I found it prophetic that they played “Love the One You’re With”. (JR & Carla attended, but sat at opposite ends of the table, basically ignoring each other)

https://theunion28.com/

I’m trying! Although the man doesn’t make it easy - I was trying to talk to him about my mother as I was putting away laundry - he walked out of the bedroom as I was midsentence and in frustration, I hurled a plastic clothes hanger at the ceiling - no damage done, of course, but at least I got his attention temporarily! It isn’t as if he had any good suggestions, but there again I was just using him as a sounding board…

                               "Love The One You're With"

There's a Rose
In a fisted Glove
And the eagle flies with the dove
And if you can't be with the one you love
It's alright
Go ahead and love the one, love the one, love the one you’re with
Love the one, love the one, love the one you’re with
If your guy can't come to you
And you don't remember who you’re talking to
Your concentration slips away
Because your baby, she is so so far away

[Chorus:]
And there's a rose in a fisted glove
And the eagle flies with the dove
And if you cant be with the one you love
Love the one you’re with
Don't be angry
Don't be sad
Don't sit cryin' for good times you had
There's a girl right next to you
And she's waiting for something to do

[Chorus]

Do it
Do it
Do it
Turn your heartache into joy
She's a girl and you’re a boy
Get together, make it tonight,
You ain't gonna need no more advice

[Chorus]

Just love the one you’re with




3 comments:

  1. Having a sounding board is such a sanity thing... we all need them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The challenge inherent in the "Mars vs Venus" dichotomy (not that I fully buy into that, but Gray does make some good points since so much of this BS is related to socialization) is that women generally just want someone to LISTEN, while men want to solve the world's problems... Yet there are no quick n' easy answers to so many of these issues :-(

      Delete
  2. So nice that your ex SIL still cares about you. At least, someone in your exes family has some sense. Best of luck to both Revas.

    Your mother sounds like so many older people I have encountered. Difficult. Everyone should be like my maternal grandma who was very adaptable. Had a hard life growing up and was eternally thankful for the life she had afterwards.

    I took my son to only one movie. I didn't know the ratings and asked the usher if the R rating was okay for someone his age - grade school - and the usher said it was. Wrong. The picture was "Starship Troopers". It wasn't fit for grade schoolers or adults. Terrible movie and then I had to explain to my hubby why I took our child to it, who, by the way, loved the movie.

    The party sounded nice.

    Your hubby has terrible communication skills. I don't guess he would consider couples therapy.

    ReplyDelete