Friday, June 30, 2023

Darwin & Me

 Being “just a lowly biologist” at heart, I’ve always been an admirer of Charles Darwin. These days it seems even more appropriate, as both the great man and myself suffer(ed) from chronic illness. Darwin managed to change history and contribute to the advancement of science - what do I have to say for myself? But at least I can be encouraged by the fact that Darwin kept on working - so must I, so must I!

Days when I don’t have to set an alarm seem like a treat, even though I rarely sleep past 8 AM. Yesterday morning I awoke at 6:30 AM (had to urinate) but decided to lie back down… I fell back into a deep intense dream sequence but then the scary part was I didn’t seem to be able to drag myself out of bed; I dozed from 8:00 - 8:50 until I finally forced myself out of bed, feeling like some sort of a viral encephalopathy patient - one of the worst episodes of “brain fog” I’ve suffered. After my morning dose of caffeine I managed to get on with my day - doing a little shopping for my trip, settling the matter of Arabella with my mom (she’s going; I just have to set those wheels in motion - somehow I’ll get it all done), then going to pick up Mila the Burmese python’s new cage with Z & V**. I warned Peran I’d be late since the young man who built the cage didn’t want us to pick it up until 8 PM to give the last coat of varnish a chance to dry. (A funny moment when we pulled into his yard - he was inside the cage pulling out a little bit of scaffolding - it’s big enough to imprison a human at 8 x 4 x 2) I made it back home by 10 PM - in time to shower off, drink my tea, and fall into bed. Lather rinse repeat.

** at least during drive time I got to hear about V’s new job (rehab facility) - she likes it and I could see no signs that she was out of sorts with me? Otherwise, why would she want to ride in the truck with me for almost 2 hours - but what do I know, she may just have wanted to keep a close eye on Zach?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_of_Charles_Darwin



5 comments:

  1. You have saved LIVES! The lives of beloved pets. Our vets have been some of the people I admire most in the world. Top of the heap. Don't undervalue yourself ever.

    I hope you feel better soon. Getting your mom settled in will help and if she decides to throw a hissy-fit for any reason during the adjustment period you need to ignore her. Treat her like a pet that needs trained. Reinforce good behavior. Don't reward bad behavior. Old people like me are a pain in the butt and have to be handled correctly. People are often as happy as they choose to be. Don't allow anyone to steal your joy!!!

    So glad to hear about V. Sometimes we just need time alone. All of us. Sometimes we are happy to join in.

    Glad you are planning for the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the comment from MorticiaAddams: you have saved lives! There's a lot to be said for saving the beloved companion animals, the working animals, and loving on animals that not everyone loves. You are definitely a PLUS for the world, Val!

    Glad things are getting resolved, bit by bit... and wishing you continued success and finding the energy, one day at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both, you know I do!
    I think getting mom settled will take a load off.

    As to V chatting with you, maybe Z is just trying to draw lines again. He's growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, tanks, you guys! I really wasn't fishing for sympathy or brownie points...
    OJ, you may be exactly right about Z cutting the apron strings; I just found it a little odd when I stopped by the other day & V never emerged from their bedroom? Shouldn't take things personally, I know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Janet is onto something. Sometimes people have motives we may not consider. When our son was in grade school one of his friend's mother murdered his dad when he was a baby so he and his 3 siblings didn't grow up with a mother and father. He was raised by his elderly grandparents. Our son's friend spent a lot of time with us and he liked the attention he got from us and the feel of being in a traditional family. One day he asked us if he could call us Mom and Dad. We understood why and told him that would be okay. Our son winced and piped up and said, "Well, they are not really your mom and dad!" And we got what was clearly not being said by our son but what was still understood, "These are MINE!" Could Z also be staking claim to what is his? At times in his life you were all he had. He might be willing to share you with V but only on his terms.

      Delete