Monday, February 19, 2024

It’s My Birthday & I’ll Cry If I Want To

 (Yeah I know I’m taking liberties with the lyrics, but it’s also MY BLOG! 😜😂🤣)

Overall, of course I’d rather have Low Comedy than High Drama…

Finally got our Certificate of Occupancy (one full year after embarking on this quest - seemed so simple, remodeling a workshop? We weren’t aiming for the Taj Mahal, or even AAHA certification!), but now I’ve got to coordinate The Big Shift: getting everything cleared out of Big Bertha (the RV) while not behaving like a tyrant towards my hard-working staff. (as much as I wanted to announce: ya know what would be the best birthday gift of all? GETTING THIS MOVE DONE LAST WEEKEND!!!)

Of course I understand that everyone has younger kids than mine, spouses & in-laws & Life Outside of Work. I sacrificed my Sunday to meet workmen who are at least getting our washer & dryer installed so the girls don’t have to take home our soiled clinic towels; I also had them move some cabinetry which was awkwardly placed, & touch up the floors in the front. Then I chose of my own free will to go have a late lunch with Mijo instead of going home to ride my neglected pony - the daylight was fading by the time I got home, so I settled for a little round pen work.

On Saturday my pal Toni coordinated a nice BD luncheon for me at Pappadeaux’s, my favorite Cajun seafood restaurant. I didn’t manage to coax Mom into the shower, but gave her a sponge bath & got her out with us. She seemed to enjoy herself (especially seeing Beloved Grandson), but slightly over an hour after I got her settled in her room & returned home, she was calling me, full of confusion & declaring Abby was missing? I patiently repeated that Abby was right there in her room, and she finally recognized her…

I was supposed to ride Sunday afternoon with Sam, but he had his own drama, dealing with his mom overseas (she’s living in India with his sister; they considered bringing her to the States but decided that would not work out well). As I said, low comedy! Next weekend is our AERC Convention which is in Albuquerque - I’d love to go but No Friggin’ Way can I justify that expense. And Carla’s mom (roughly the same vintage as mine, early 90’s) is slowly declining under hospice care - sleeping 23 hrs a day as her 95-yr old dad (who’s not doing too badly, all things considered, although he’s had to have several toes amputated d.t. diabetes) grieves & frets. Carla’s folks are staying in their home, so poor Carla has to make frequent supervisory visits as her sister is little to no help. Their stories make me grateful to be an only child.


                            Birfday flowers from Mijo - but I had to remove those toxic lilies!
     Mom, myself, Carla, Robert, Gayle, Sam, Gayle’s niece behind C2, JR and Carla 2.0 
JR is on crutches & in a boot - he broke his foot tripping over a dog! Have I told you how my husband declares “Too many dogs!” when he has to navigate around all the bodies on our living room floor; my reply is to “Step high!”


3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday!!! I loved the pictures!! Great picture of Z with his grandma. The flowers were beautiful!! Wonderful party. I don't even know that many people.

    Your poor mom. She really does struggle. And so many of us have been through this declining health and loss of our parents. All of our grandparents and parents are gone. I lost one great grandfather when I was probably 5. The other when I was in my mid 30s. Most of the rest of my relatives lived at least until they were in their 60s and I lost most of them between 1995 and 1999 except dad, a half-brother, an uncle, our son. Benny's dad died in 1998 too. My MIL in 2011 and my dad when he was 87. Like my uncle said, "We're next." And we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Rooting for JR's recovery... I didn't actually BREAK my foot tripping over Diamond (my dog) all those years ago, but I started wearing running shoes only and not going barefoot in the house with that incident. Totally understand "too many animal bodies" to navigate over. I swear that old saw about the cat trying to trip you at the top of the staircase has a basis in fact!

    Glad that certificate of occupancy FINALLY got to you so forward motion on the clinic can go on! Good luck and happy "grand opening" even if it's only just opening the doors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! Glad you could finally get into your new digs.

    ReplyDelete