Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Wellbutrin Detox

 (Generally I’m not a fan of the overused term “detox” - my liver & kidneys are working just fine, thanks! but I had to slap a title on this post & it seemed descriptive)

I miss my old therapist Bill more than I can say at times - he really “got me”, or perhaps was just an exceptionally perceptive, empathic individual. But the poor man is dead, there’s no going back so all I can have are imaginary conversations with him. I couldn’t afford a big investment in therapy appointments either at this point, since I’m still skating along that financial cliff. Had a heart-stopping moment last week after I had authorized Kristy to pay some bills - I had overlooked the big payment to the loan sharks that goes through on the 20th! Thankfully she had not mailed those checks, so I was able to pull a couple out and will wait until the end of this week for the clinic account  to rebound from these things. I am watching every transaction with a mental high-five for every client who pulls out their credit card and pays their bill! Thankfully I don’t have very many who try to stiff me or beg for payment plans. I want to calmly explain that the grocery store or the utility companies don’t cut me any slack, & let’s not even talk about the taxes. With all I’ve been through, it has given me a new perspective with sympathy for these militiamen and preppers.

It’s some point I do need to see somebody about my ongoing shortness of breath and irregular heartbeat; I certainly can’t afford to go back to my concierge physician! At some point I think she got impatient with running tests on me which were invariably “normal”, and wanted me to fall back on antidepressants. I still have last year’s bottle of Wellbutrin, I decided to give it another go but the GI side affects are just intolerable to me. Bloat and a sluggish intestinal tract, verging on constipation with a constant, low-grade indigestion feeling. Many lose weight on it, but of course Not Me!!!

I gave it a three week trial, but I just threw the rest of the tablets away yesterday - I count these next couple of days as getting that shit out of my system. I need to sharpen up since I am supposed to judge the NATRC event this weekend. We had a mini cold front roll in last night but it’s supposed to warm up again this weekend after a couple of days of overcast skies with a little bit of rain.



7 comments:

  1. I assume that you know what your magnesium level is as Benny's is barely normal and mine has been low. Both of our Vitamin D levels were low. I also worry about my calcium and potassium levels. Food isn't what it used to be. Antidepressants are not going to help palpitations and shortness of breath. Any edema?

    Cold and super windy here. Was 77 yesterday. 29 so far today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brrrr! No, fortunately it hasn't gotten to freezing temps round here - a low of 43 as the temps kept dropping as I drove up into town: 48 when I went down to the barn, then 45, then 43!!
      I've been taking supplemental Mg for several yrs - my last test was mid-range. Probably need to check Vit D although I try to get out in the sunshine as much as possible. All my self-diagnostics & research point towards dysautonomia - the hyperbaric oxygen treatments seemed to be helpful. No edema; I'm blaming all the bloat on Wellbutrin!

      Delete
    2. Cold here and 50% chance of snow tonight but if there is accumulation it will melt quickly as it will be above freezing tomorrow.

      I think keeping track of vitamin and mineral levels is extremely important because since childhood I have have problems with deficiencies. I am of the mind that many medical problems are linked to poor gut health and diet. When I fix my diet my health improves.

      Delete
  2. Hugs, Val! One day at a time. I feel fortunate to be able to pay my bills, including the vet, the dentist, the eye doctor, etc. Every small business person has to keep the lights on!

    We had a nasty return to normal February temperatures today, after having a deceptively mild month up until now. I had to smile at your final "poster"... "ride your horse, never return". My niece's daughter would agree... they are now up to TWO horses... that girl is living my dream life and I pray her parents are able, financially, to keep her dreams going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wellbutrin has so many side effects, including my daughter experienced mania! No bueno.
    Thyroid can do the HR irregularity but you're on top of that. Have you work a Holter monitor? My ECG's were normal at every 6 month visit to my cardiologist but I still complained. He freaked out when he got the results the first time. I had A-fib, A-flutter, V-tach, bradycardia, and my heart would stop for almost 2 seconds. I missed the doe something STAT threshold by .05 seconds.
    Just sayin'..... (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! No doubt my Holter readings would be a hot mess but no, that's one of the few tests they did NOT run last year when I was still fairly flush...

      Delete