Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Valentine’s Day

 …is certainly no “holiday” for Yours Truly; I’ve got to finish slugging down my coffee, go to work & get my AM tasks done (generally I’m doing surgeries while Dr M sees appointments, but there’s usually a few who want to see Dr J), race by the feed store to toss a couple of bags in my car to hold the herd until this weekend (with all the rain, I haven’t been able to make my “big haul” feed run in my truck), go home, hitch my trailer, & get on down to College Station with Mr Bo.

I was alarmed to see the email appointment reminder yesterday which listed us at 2 PM - I quickly called and explained that, even under the very best circumstances I won’t be able to get there until 6 or 7 PM! They were very understanding and I soon got a corrected reminder which says 6 PM - that’s very optimistic but I explained carefully where I’m coming from… I remember my vet school days, when we would be knocking around waiting for a client to show up - usually it turned into discussions of the upcoming case as well as other things, of course. I know that Bo’s prognosis ain’t good, but I owe him every chance I can give him. That’s the price we pay for getting so emotionally attached.

Speaking of emotional attachments, I suggested to Peran that we have our Valentine’s dinner last night since I won’t even be here this evening - and, surprisingly enough, he agreed! We met at our favorite Tex-Mex place and split a double order of fajitas. I watched as my husband ate most of our two baskets of chips, made himself 4 fajita tacos and then methodically ate up his healthy- sized servings of rice and beans. “Seemed like old times” - it was as if I had my old husband back! However I adopted a “don’t ask/don’t tell” policy as it’s blatantly obvious he has regained a significant amount of weight (I’d estimate 50 pounds from the way his clothes are fitting). It isn’t as if he needs me to tell him that! He’s back to his old habits of being the bread and chip-a-holic - that nice loaf of sourdough I brought home a little over a week ago? I had two slices of it; P has also been bringing home the fresh French bread from H-E-B which disappears rapidly. It’s not that I begrudge him these things - of course, I have my own vices! but I wish he would talk to me - not that I could offer much constructive advice because I haven’t solved my own issues which is blatantly obvious every time I look in the mirror. But sometimes it’s nice just to have a sounding board.

That old clock keeps ticking so I’ve got to finish my last slug o’coffee and get moving. Updates to follow!



2 comments:

  1. No holiday for us either. Hubby had chemo. Another one in the books.

    We had to drop by the feed store today too. The prices are outrageous. $88 for 47 pounds of dog food for "hair, skin, and nails". WTH! Hubby asked if the dogs were super models.

    Sending another prayer for Bo. We always went the whole 9 yards for our pets too. Our vet mentioned cloning us. Why have pets if you don't treat them like family? In general, most of them are better than people.

    Peran is an enigma and you are very wise to keep the old trap shut about what is going on in his head. I prefer a man with a tendency to overeat as compared to one with anorexia nervosa. The latter is just too weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to smile at that last photo meme... good advice if you don't want to get advice, for sure! I'm generally sorry if I whine about my own issues and then get called out with advice like "go get that checked out" when I really don't want to hear that advice. Sometimes I NEED to hear it, but I seldom WANT to hear it! LOL!

    Hang in there, my friend, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Bo.

    ReplyDelete