Saturday, February 3, 2024

Atlas & Axis

 OJ is absolutely correct in her assertions that I need to “let go of the reins” and quit shouldering everyone’s problems…

I’ve been doing my best to “leave that boy alone” - Z called me with a brief question yesterday but today I haven’t heard from him. I came home from my rounds, checking on my mom followed by a quick trip to the store (honestly, all I went in there for was coffee cream and salad greens so how did I spend $40??) Minor splurges on cappuccino milk, sourdough bread, fresh tortillas - & bought an $11.99 tray of store-made sushi for my lunch which was pretty good stuff; far better than going to a restaurant & spending twice that amount!

Got home to flip on the TV and skim channels - when I saw the dramatic coastline behind the golf tournament, I knew it had to be Pebble Beach. I took Zach, Josef and Josef’s mom out there five years ago when Josef‘s big sister was going to school in Monterey. (We also went in February, probably right after this PGA golf tournament had concluded) The weather was disappointing - kind of gray, chilly and rainy just as it is on the TV screen today; there was a massive storm two days after we arrived which knocked out power in the neighborhood of our AirBnB. This left us unable to enjoy the house under frigid conditions - we went out during the daytime and bundled up at night. This soured me on the AirBnB experience because in the end, with lots of complaining I only got a $200 credit. But it was still a nice trip and I hope Zach, Josef & MJ retain fond memories of it. Here’s my tiny blog blurb (I was still in the process of transferring as much of my old Spark blogs as I could):


Saturday, February 16, 2019

Resurrection?

I don’t know why I’m watching this tripe (Alien: Resurrection) - not much else to do on this, our final night together in not-so-sunny, uncomfortably cold California...
I’ve laid out another impressive piece o’change on a bigger, more ambitious version of Zach & Joe’s Big Adventure, and all for what??? Can’t really say, this dull headache makes me wanna just crawl under the covers...
Airfare = $400
Luxury SUV rental = $800
Air BnB weekly lease = $1600
Snuggling with mah boy = PRICELESS

Also got some good photos; for some reason these always pop up prominently in my “Memories”







Here’s our AirBnB which would’ve been great with electricity! We wound up having to eat out all the time because it was an all-electric home: kitchen, heat pump, hot water heater!!! Geez! 





4 comments:

  1. My grocery makes great California rolls, I'd get them for lunch, too.
    Thanks for hearing what I 'said'. I've gotten a reprieve from DD2's antics as I put my foot down. No more drunk calls. The onus is on her to behave or I hang up. She'll be 41this week so don't think you're off the hook altogether!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice retrospective of Good Heavens--five years ago! It is hard to let them be adults (mine's going to be 40 in the Summer)... but we really don't have a choice. They will survive just fine if we just manage (however reluctantly) to let go. Why do we feel guilty when we do, as if they were still six?

    Anyway, good to see you still making the rounds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet is a very wise woman.

    My last trip to the store I came home with sourdough bread and flour tortillas too.

    My problem with vacationing is arriving to discover that the photos of the motel were probably taken 20 years ago. LOL. The ocean never disappoints me but sleeping in a dungeon with a noisy air conditioner does. Good incentive though for spending very little time in the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so wise as experienced. I learn from my mistakes even if I have to make them over, and over, and over!

      Delete