Sunday, February 18, 2024

Looking Out For #1

 I’ve joined several widely divergent groups on FB: DVM Single Moms, Dieting DVM’s, fasting & insulin resistance, and of course my long-standing thyroid group…

This morning, this post from an insulin-resistant group member slapped me upside the head - I have a bad habit of disregarding male input, since in general men can lose weight so much easier than women! But Lee had many good points (similar to Peran, he has lost a lot of weight, regained, and is now dieting/weight training again):

I don’t have a disease, I have an intolerance.  The “innate condition” that a type 2 diabetic has, similar to an alcoholic, is the inability to handle a particular substance in a healthy way, a way that other people can.  An alcoholic has in innate intolerance to alcohol.  A type 2 diabetic has an innate intolerance to carbohydrates.

Some people will take this truth and use it improperly.   “Because Type 2 Diabetes is permanent, I will always need meds”.  It demotivates them to make the diet, exercise and other lifestyle changes to get healthy.  Why do all that work when, no matter what, one is still a diabetic?   It is in this sense that I vehemently disagree with the analogy.  

I am carb intolerant but I am no longer a diabetic.  I am not in a diseased state – at least not the disease of Type 2 diabetes.  Like any health state, one must continue to maintain your health.  Nobody has a permanent state of health.  I worked hard to go from highly diabetic to being free of type 2 diabetes.  I am a proud FORMER diabetic.   One who is 50lbs lighter, and no longer needs a cane to walk.  Health can be regained, the disease of type 2 diabetes can be overcome.  I recommend people adopt this mindset of health and hope.

What struck me is that simple phrase: ”Nobody has a permanent state of health”. So it does no good for me to shake my fist at the sky, or yell at clouds that Val cannot carry (not-so-)merrily on as I have in the past; I’ve got to just Get On With It. Here is a link to Lee’s blog; I’ve just begun to skim it. 

https://wp.me/p2mxHF-oQ (WordPress blogs are weird; hope this link works!)

But speaking of Getting On With It, I’ve got to get dressed & go meet my guys who are getting my washer/dryer installed at clinic, maybe moving a few other things - we finally got our Certificate of Occupancy! Now the challenge of coordinating our move-in - of course my girls are busy on weekends with their kiddos; as much as I don’t want to, we may have to close down for a day during the week. Sacrificing a day’s income will still be less expensive than hiring that moving crew to come back…


                           These are Lee’s Before & After photos - very similar build to my P




1 comment:

  1. I agree with Lee. I am in remission too which is how I think of it. I don't have diabetes or even pre-diabetes but I could easily get it back with poor exercise and eating habits. Weight gain.

    So happy you will finally be moving in!!!

    ReplyDelete