Friday, April 28, 2023

Four vs Six Minutes

 At one of the last memorable 50’s I completed on Baraq, Lucy and I turned back towards camp too soon and wound up having to go back out in the dark out and do the correct segment of trail, finishing up with only four minutes to spare!

So of course Val found the Madonna song “4 Minutes” and played it incessantly for a while - hey, it’s a catchy tune and I like Madonna anyway! Just another tune in my eclectic jukebox collection…

https://youtu.be/aAQZPBwz2CI

I don’t know what theme song I’m going to use for my Rocky-montage style exercise rehab program. My day didn’t get off to a good start yesterday morning when I showed up at my old Life Sciences building instead of the shiny new science & engineering building across the street. I eventually figured it out by squinting at the map a little harder - a grad student was waiting for me in the lobby but no one was answering the phone since the professor was out of town! They drew my blood & had me answer some questionnaires, I signed their release forms and then we went next door to their physiology lab which was full of gym equipment: treadmills, exercise bikes and the like. I fully expected to march on the treadmill but instead we left the lab and went out to the outer hallway, where the girl set up cones for me to walk a 30-yard length of corridor as many times as I could in six minutes. I guess this was supposed to make it more like real world conditions? I broke a light sweat, was a little breathless but achieved 1000 steps. They fitted me with a clunky activity monitor on my wrist and a CGM; I’m supposed to carry on as usual for the next two weeks, then I go back to find out if I’ve been selected for the interventional part of the study which will mean a graded exercise program with coaching via text messaging.

It was nice to see my old campus with its shiny new buildings as well as old familiar places. This display with a reticulated python skeleton and various species of sea turtle skulls & shells has been there since I was an undergrad (that's 40+ years folks! Might be time for an update)


Took V out for her 25th BD Tues night

5 comments:

  1. Fascinating. I once did a motion study where they strapped me up with reflective velcro's balls like what they do for computer generated graphics. I was part of a control group. I find these things very interesting, their methodology and so much better if they turn out to help people. I never did find out what the results were of that particular one.

    Here's hoping for a good weekend ahead for you (and me, and everybody!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have involuntary musical imagery (INMI)/earworms/stuck song syndrome/whatever anyone wants to call it and from what I have read the vast majority of Western population does. They are usually popular songs with catchy tunes, unique songs, easy to remember repetitive phrases, melodic, unique intervals between notes, frequently repeated notes, with rising and falling pitches. My current song is "On My Own" by Patti Labelle and Michael McDonald both of who I love but they are a really freaky weird combo to put together. I was relieved when I discovered INMI is not usually a medical problem though rarely it can be associated with hearing loss, strokes, brain tumors, schizophrenia/psychoses, migraines, epilepsy, all of which I assume I don't have. Lots of people with OCD have INMI, which I do have but my OCD is under control and has been for years. If it lasts for over 24 hours it is more likely associated with a medical cause. Some meds seem to cause it, like antidepressants. Also people who are musically inclined and listen to music a lot seem to get it more. The size and the shape of the brain comes into play, the thickness in some regions. INMI usually occurs in people with good memories. People who are open to new experiences. Some experts think it is the result of the brain's attempt to fill a gap in the auditory memory, like maybe you don't know all of the lyrics to the song so you keep replaying it so finding out the lyrics or listening to the whole song can help if it becomes a problem for someone. Most people either like earworms or are neutral about it. It supposedly leads to clear thinking and creativity. They can be triggered by the most recent song you listened to, a song or tune listened to repeatedly, a song listened to during a period of stress or anxiety, or a song that connects to past events or memories. Like a creative process such as daydreaming. It can even be caused by feeling good. INMI can cause insomnia. So I avoid music or watching T.V. before bed. And I know if if my earworms start to get on my nerves I can usually replace it myself with another song, distracting myself, or I can chew gum and get rid of it. Walking at a different pace than the song helps. But your Madonna song is worth hanging onto. For one thing I would watch Justin Timberlake do anything, including chew gum. LOL.

    The study sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made ironic jokes for years about the lil' jukebox in my head; I usually always have background music playing!

      Delete
    2. Loved the display. Nice skeleton!

      I seem to have music playing when I am stressed.

      Happy birthday to V. I have a birthday coming up in 2-3 weeks.

      Delete
  3. My own jukebox kicks in frequently as well.
    Having a 'made for you' exercise program sounds good. I hope you get it.
    The kids are so grown up. V is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete