Monday, May 1, 2023

MayDay

 Fortunately not in the sense of “Alarm!” but just a simple statement of fact - and it’s going to be another beautiful one.

I couldn’t have ordered better weather for my rides this weekend, even though Friday night was chilly & breezy - I blanketed the ponies at bedtime bcz Mommy was cold! Horse camp was overflowing, so I parked just outside the gate with several others. No big deal hiking a few extra steps to get to where the action was - fortunately John did not have need of my veterinary services; the threat of bad weather kept people away (we were still having scattered thunderstorms on Friday) so he was fine with 4 other veterinarians…

It’s just been so damn long since I actually accomplished what I set out to do, I’m still adjusting to the novel sensation of “triumph” this morning! I rode Bo on Saturday and Baraq on Sunday, repeating our 11 mile intro loop. On Saturday I fell in with a father/daughter team from OK; his older daughter was riding the 25 miler and lapped us when we were nearing the end of our trek. We took it very slow n’ easy in a little over 3 hrs - Bo did great. Then I was facing the true challenge: taking out my Little Bay Corvette (Baraquinator) Sunday morning with Sam on his first endurance event. Sam had been out of town, facing flight delays & frustration getting home Friday, so he almost opted out. He had originally planned on coming out Friday night as I did, volunteering** on Saturday & riding on Sunday - but he sent his apologies for Saturday, got a little extra rest at home, and came up Saturday afternoon.

**again, John had plenty of volunteers since attendance was sparse. Roughly 55 riders on Saturday, probably only 35-40 on Sunday at an event which in years past has drawn 100+ - partially due to threatening weather, but I’m sure fuel prices are keeping many folks closer to home…

I misunderstood Christina  - thought she was coming Saturday but she actually came for Sunday morning’s ride (she had pledged to ride one of Chris’s ponies). Her hubby brought his mustang, the kids too so Catie got to ride Bo with us. Of course he had no problem toting 75-lb Catie - I’m sure it felt like a vacation after me! Unfortunately, even being in our little group, Baraq still fought me every step of the way, jigging and tossing his head so I got an upper-body workout but I had tears of pride in my eyes when we finished up because Bo looked FABULOUS! We did Day 2 in about 2 hrs 45 minutes - to qualify for endurance pace we would’ve had to complete in 2:15 but I’m not complaining - more important is the fact we got everyone through safely. Christina and Chris were still out on trail when Sam and I packed up to come on home because as usual, I had many things to do. Not a word was spoken about Bo’s future, which is a bit of a head-scratcher but I’m not gonna press the matter - I loaded him up and brought him home with me! Watching him light out into the pasture when I turned them out was gratifying.

                                  I don't think Bo had ever been blanketed, but as always he was a good boy

                                                             Looks like $11K to me ;-) !!!
                          John provided hog noses & medallions to all junior competitors


6 comments:

  1. What a lovely weekend! Glad for the bottom line: everybody home safe, and your services not needed as veterinarian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an awesome weekend! And it must feel great to have completed your rides. It sounds like Bo was fantastic and that either Barag was calmer than usual or you are stronger than you were or both. Good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, my darlin' boy was far from CALM but he was manageable if I kept a tight rein on him! But my oh my, am I feeling it today with stiff neck & shoulders! (time for another dose of ibuprofen)

      Delete
    2. Benny and I can relate because lately everything we do seems to cause us physical grief. I am going to have to rethink my exercise program. I am closing in on 71. So far it is challenging.

      Delete
  3. A nice time and rest, even though it was work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I just kept my head down & kept pacing through one task at a time. "It's worth it"

      Delete