Thursday, May 18, 2023

Purge & Emerge

 A noteworthy day for this discouraged, deconditioned, disillusioned “veterinarian of a certain age” (which these days feels identical to my 92-year old mom).

A.) went ahead & subjected myself to routine colonoscopy about which my Dr has been nagging me for a while. At 59, while it was certainly “time”, I’ve gotten the niggling sensation that she’s run out of bright ideas for diagnostic tests or therapies for my lingering long Covid symptoms, so she’s falling back on checklists. Yeah, sure, I’m overdue for mammography as well - but let me see how much I get gouged for the Roto-Rooter first!

The prep was no picnic, with the foul osmotic laxative causing uncontrollable diarrhea - I just finished my laundry. (Thank goodness I slept on a towel, but I still befouled half a dozen pairs of underwear - yep, even despite panty liners!) The good news is, no big deal - he found a couple of small polyps and told me to come back in 3 years. I completed my longest fast to date: 39 hrs 46 minutes, which was no challenge at all once I drank my purgative.

B.) After that joyous colonoscopy experience, in the afternoon I returned to UT Arlington and got more good news - that I will be in the interventional part of their exercise study. For the next 12 weeks, I will wear a Fitbit 24/7 and follow a graded exercise program. Right now, even short walks get my heart rate into the low to moderate range - ha ha, I just looked at the app & I’m one minute shy of my 150-minute quota for this week. A short yoga session should do the trick…

And in case anyone questions gurus who assert that we have massive amounts of waste products which need to be expelled - in my case this would amount to 6 lbs, my weight differential between yesterday & today. I know this 185.8 low point won’t last (first thing this AM after my Night of Misery), but it was a hopeful start.

                                          A foul concoction (Plevnu) which tasted as bad as its effects
                                                        A record-setting fast for Yours Truly 


3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear all that cr@p is done for now. I've been wearing my Fitbit for 2.5 years straight now. Handy to keep track of my tachy-brady syndrome. Lately I've been sleeping like the dead, literally. My HR is in the 40's when I sleep. My meds can't be adjusted much more so that pacemaker might be on the horizon. Perhaps you will get some useful information out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news on the colonoscopy!! Now for the mammogram. I am a huge supporter of checklists, routine exams, and tests. So glad you made the study!! Things are falling into place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news with polyps being found and eliminated! Three years and check again... also good news. She's on top of things. Looking for the pony, right?

    Good luck with the exercise program. Sometimes that's what it takes to put a burr under our behinds, right? A programme that someone monitors.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete