Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Technology Lies

 My shiny new Fitbit also purportedly tracks sleep quality - y’all can understand I’d be all over that!

But last night it gave me a rating of “Good” for a little over 7 hrs sleep - which does not explain why I feel like hammered sh!t this AM… I retreated to the recliner after my busy workday (the weather remains variable - I’m certainly not complaining about this recent cool spell! but it is certainly SUMMER in regards to scheduling), didn’t pry myself up to do yoga**, stayed up too late indulging in minor escapism watching my PBS travelogues, then the dogs had me up at 12:45 AM - took a long time to get back to sleep & I’d rate what I did get as light & fitful.

But that’s what coffee is for, boys & girls!

** I have found a great short & easy routine targeted towards sciatica which gives me great release in my lower back - my spine creaking when I do a supported leg extension especially to my right. I could just weep with joy - I have spent hundreds of dollars with chiropractors over the years, yet here I can do it better all by myself! But of course that means I actually have to get up there on the mat and do it…

(& now I’m too technically inept to get the link to work, but I’ll try again later)

Karen and her husband have been invited on an Alaskan cruise which I told her is a great experience** -everyone should try a cruise at least once! but now her husband can’t get off one of the required days. I’ve notified Dr. M about my plans to go to New Mexico in July - if she’s unable to cover for me, I’ll just close the clinic. No other immediate travel plans for us as P continues his job search.

** my parents took Zach and I when he was ten years old - it was very pleasant, I hope he has a few faint memories of it

Those 3 dark-blue dips represent the only periods of "deep sleep" I got - 43 minutes ain't quite enough!
Awake: 64 min
Light sleep: 4 hrs 28 min
Deep sleep: 43 min
REM sleep (don't ask me how on earth a wrist monitor can measure REM?): 1 hr 56 min

I contrast that with Sunday night, a fairly decent night's sleep with 1 hr 54 min "deep sleep"
Awake: 1 hr 27 min (I think I had 3 potty breaks that night, ugh!)
Light sleep: 4 hrs 22 min
REM sleep: 1 hr 59 min






8 comments:

  1. We are looking for me a new fitbit here but have problems finding what I want. What kind did you get?

    I am very interested in your sciatica routine as I sometimes have it fairly bad. Once so bad I was incontinent of urine.

    I did not know that P was looking for a job.

    I have never been on a cruise nor has Benny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Fitbit is the Inspire2 (I didn't pick it out; it's the model that was provided to me through the PAWS study)
      P was rather abruptly laid off in February & has not had any luck (to date) in finding something else... Several interviews for positions which would have been partial work-from-home with some commuting - "way back when", P was working in N Plano & commuting from the farm which made for some LOOOONG workdays. Also a lot more travel Back In The Day

      Delete
    2. I am wanting an Inspire 3. I don't think they tract sleep all that well any of them. I hope P can find something suitable.

      Delete
    3. I finally found the Inspire 3 here are Kohl's. Now to get it going.

      Delete
  2. I'm in the "never tried a cruise" club. Not sure I'm up for it nowadays, either. I think the Norovirus on cruises first put me off, then the Covid and T* not letting the passengers off the boat even to get medical care? Still, it's a romantic notion, and maybe someday (when I'm 90? What am I waiting for?)

    Fitbit and sleep quality... it doesn't always map out, but give it a while to set up a pattern. "Good" is not always all that "good" in my book, but when it gives me an "Excellent" it usually maps. And when it dips to "Fair" (and I've actually been wearing it all night, not charging it until the first bathroom break), I can feel it. Also, if I'm sick, doesn't matter how good the watch thinks I've slept!

    Got my fingers crossed for P's job search.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The overt "conspicuous consumption" of the cruise experience made my lil' environmentalist's heart ache, but they are trying to make the experience more accessible to elderly and mobility-challenged folks... I think it is important to "get the word out" by getting people up there to actually SEE the glaciers receding!

      Delete
  3. I have the Versa 3. There are some days I match what it says, Good, Fair, and other days I feel it's off the mark. I make my own rules. You can also adjust what amount of sleep is your standard. For me, if I get 7 hours, it's a great night. I notice more of a correlation with the breathing chart. I've found high variations equals less good sleep. BTW the oxygen measure on mine is about 5-6% lower than the finger pulse-ox meter so I know I'm not dying of anoxia in my sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've done 2 Alaska cruises, 6 years apart and we notice differences in the Glacier Bay. The ability to stand on the deck of the ship at 11 PM in the orange sunlight was something I'll never forget. They were good trips for my man who now has limited mobility. He could sit all day and watch the world go by. Something hard to do on some other trips.

    ReplyDelete