Saturday, April 22, 2023

Occasional Miracles

 …are known to occur, which I should be all the more grateful for, considering my generally crappy luck here lately!

The rescue of Tweedledum from jaws-of-death Tyson (remarkable that he kept his ear which got thoroughly chomped, suffered punctures & bruising to neck which also healed up without lasting damage), Bo’s colic surgery (I know our methods and technology have greatly improved in my lifetime - I’ve had a handful of serious colics over my course of owning horses, yet Bo is my sole survivor), Tigre’s return after a week in The Great Outdoors, and most recently, my recapture of Enola the blue-tongued skink (she’d been roaming the Mesquite house for three weeks).

Enola had been living in a home built wooden cage with sliding plexiglass doors on the front - on a previous occasion, she had managed to squirm through an opening but was only out for a few hours as Zach was still in residence. I had set a small live trap baited with canned cat food but I wasn’t even sure if she had sufficient body mass to trip the trigger? Each time I came by the house to feed rats, fish, snakes and her mate Alfred, my heart sank as I saw the untouched trap. It was horrible to think of this tropical creature slowly dying in the unfriendly environment of north Texas.

But last night, I couldn’t believe my eyes when I walked into the bedroom and saw the trap was closed! And Enola herself was wearily curled up in the far end, smeared with stinky cat food (I had to bathe her). I triumphantly carried her home where she is sharing the tortoise tub until we get her a more secure habitat - I can’t do this again!

So this morning I am also celebrating by taking a short ride on Bo, even though it’s three days shy of his 90 day postop recovery period. I’m feeling reckless ๐Ÿ˜Š

(My photos are completely jumbled up but I’ll get one transferred from my phone so you can admire this snaky lizard for yourself)

                                                                The Prisoner is recaptured 
                                                        Enola had little appreciation for her bath 

6 comments:

  1. Good news! As you said, occasionally those miracles show up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you found Enola. Blue tongued skinks are really cool. Hopefully all of the pets can be secured soon and have a permanent home where they will be safer and you won't have to go so far to care for them. I hope you and Bo both enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She looks great in her "robe"! LOL!

      Delete
    2. “Robe” => frayed but clean kitchen towel! ๐Ÿ˜‚

      Delete
    3. Benny thought she was attractive. LOL.

      Delete
    4. They ARE very attractive & refined snaky lizards! :-)
      Also very pleasant to stroke & handle, even though one doesn't necessarily think of a lizard as a lap animal... Blue-tongued skinks and tegus are reptiles who actually seem to seek out & appreciate human interactions (I think most pet snakes only like you because you're a warm body)

      Delete