Monday, April 17, 2023

Done for in Less Than 60 Minutes

  (Hat tip to “Gone in 60 Seconds”, that dreadful Nicolas Cage film - while I’ve enjoyed NC in many other movies, that was not one of ‘em!)

But my brain suggests these little segues as I plodded wearily back to camp Saturday morning - I should’ve known the beautiful Priefert Ranch was not the best venue for Baraq to behave himself. Many parts of the trail consist of looping around the perimeter of their pastures, which means B-boy could see the front runners - of course he wanted to catch them! The head-tossing and jigging I could put up with, and I count it as an upper-body workout when he tries to dislocate my shoulders pulling against me, but the last straw was when he executed a perfect flat reining spin when we had stopped at a water tank before crossing a bridge.  (I wanted him to pause and let the other riders go on - he, of course, wanted to pursue them) I wish John the photographer had video capability because I was proud of myself for riding that episode out! but in the end I decided discretion was the better part of valor (not that I ever HAD a margin for injury but I especially can’t afford to get thrown off and injure myself these days!), so I dismounted & took the shortcut back to camp - leading him in hand for about half a mile before he let me remount and do our Walk of Shame, coming in The Wrong Way back into camp.

And this sharp pain just occurred to me - perhaps Christina didn’t tell me that her husband was riding his mustang in the intro (one loop) Saturday morning because he wouldn’t have wanted my company? Not that I blame him when Baraq is doing his best fiery-steed impression, but still, that stings if that was the case… Christina had ridden one of CL’s horses Friday & never mentioned anything about riding Baraq or anyone else of mine, so perhaps she had agreed to crew for her hubby?**

My FB friend Belinda whom I met IRL last weekend had attempted her first 55 mile ride on Friday -unfortunately she was pulled; her gelding was exhausted and colicky Friday night & wound up having to have him treated with IV fluids. But she’s already making plans for their next ride, as am I…

I guess I’m just stuck with the mule for competitive events: I seem to have this Sophie‘s Choice of either dealing with bad behavior IN camp or bad behavior out on trail! But at least I got in a good visit with my cousins Saturday afternoon - my poor cousin Joe is increasingly stove-up as a lifetime of hard work & injuries is catching up to him. 

** when I mentioned this painful dilemma to another friend, she remarked that perhaps this silent treatment is God’s way of letting me know who needs to be in my life? I know I have a bad tendency to give too much, to over-share, to play a little bit of the martyr just like my mom.

Half a day’s work today and then dealing with a funeral this afternoon. Time to saddle up.

9 comments:

  1. And so it goes...right?
    Keep being you and do what makes you happy when you can. As for spreading yourself around to help others, I have a quirky comment.
    It's like spreading a 1/2 teaspoon of peanut butter on a big piece of bread; it'll be too thin to taste when you take a bite. No enjoyment but it was accomplished. Maybe it's time to have a smaller piece of bread because you can't make more you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great metaphor, don't mind if I appropriate it for myself!

      Delete
    2. And for some reason I seem to be unable to link up to YOUR blog?? Hope you are not spread too thin either...

      Delete
  2. Nic Cage is rather quirky, in my opinion, but I did love him in "Con Air" and the phrase "Put the bunny back in the box." will always have a special place in my own personal onboard hard drive. He has had better films but the bunny quote really spoke to me. Besides, he was really buff in it and had long hair.

    Baraq is a beast. He knows what he wants and goes after it. Quite the man actually but a lot to handle. But he is not a good fit for many riders who are not chiefly motivated to come in first. Maybe Baraq is getting to be too much for Christina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I never thought about it in terms of CHRISTINA (who is a superb rider, head & shoulders above me!) not wanting to deal with My Lil' Firecracker? (It's funny, those who don't know him see his exquisite refined lil' profile & think he's a youngster - obviously my B-Boy will simmer only down when he's dead & buried!)

      Delete
    2. I suggested it because my parents were very close to a couple who stood up for each other when they got married. They had 2 boys and were heavily into horses. They had an RV business. Their oldest son wanted to be a jockey but he got too big. When my Dad bought a wild Mustang this boy set out to break him and it was a huge challenge even for him. Even experienced riders can meet their match. I have only been on a horse like Baraq one time and it was enough for me. They are too unpredictable.

      I also agree with Janet. I used to spread myself too thin and found that there are tons of needy people out there. It's best to help the needy people who are YOUR needy people. Let others take care of their own. You already have a full plate.

      Delete
    3. Christina's hubby is an awesome horseman, and I give him full credit for saving Mr Bo's life when he colicked - a less astute observer might have left him "outstanding in the field" until it was too late to save him. I don't blame them for being somewhat "gunshy" as to risk of future episodes (there ain't no guarantees in this rough ol' life), but I have high hopes that Bo should be able to carry on for many more healthy years from here on out...

      Delete
  3. I'm sure they are grateful for what you have done for them and the events you attend too. You are a vet and have donated hours of professional help with these rides. Everyone who goes to them loves horses, most people do, even people who can't afford them. They are wonderful animals. After all of these years I can recall what they smell like and feel like. Their unique personalities and quirks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, reading the other comments, I love OJ's! I still feel slightly guilty when I'm in "conserving me" mode at times, but I recognize the necessity. Been doing a bit of that leading up to son's wedding tomorrow. I'm glad I've been doing it, though.

    ReplyDelete