Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Baby Steps

 …are the buzzwords of FlyLady, whose home-organizational advice I’ve imperfectly followed for years.

 I took two more “baby steps” for myself: I’ll be returning to my undergrad alma mater (UT Arlington) Thursday morning to participate in a research study for cancer survivors. I will be fitted with a CGM & receive an activity tracker, have a Dexa scan, then come back at 2-wk intervals. (I think it’s a 12-wk program) I hope this program will help me jumpstart my completely deconditioned self… I’m tired of being breathless after simply marching from one end of my barn to the other!
Then Thursday afternoon I’ve scheduled a follow-up with my doctor to see if she has any more bright ideas?
Monday night my poor mom locked herself out of her cottage when she walked across the street to visit her neighbor. Yippee for any attempt at socialization, boo at her shame and humiliation for making this mistake, although of course we reassured her that stuff like this happens to everyone! Her next-door neighbor was with her when I pulled up; he had called the front office but no one had ambled down yet - I’m glad I stopped by. John said he had tried to call me but mom must have not dictated my number to him correctly because my phone had not rung? But now I have John’s phone number, thankfully, and I will get him a copy of mom‘s door key.

Another sweaty restless night - stretched things out as long as I could this morning, but gotta get moving with my workday. In other better news, the City of Ferris finally approved my permits so for the low low fees totaling a little over $9K**, hopefully I will see a work crew this morning!

**$4K to the City, $4K to the architect, another K in miscellaneous costs incurred by my contractor - he brought me a pile o’ receipts and I wrote the man a check, I’ll go through ‘em later!

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you told your mom it happens to others. I locked myself out of my house once because I had a latch on the sliding glass door that would essentially "lock itself". I was just on the deck, shaking out a dust mop! At that time I didn't have a garage door opener with a code, and I didn't put a key in my pocket (I was just cleaning!) So, yes, it happens to a lot of us. Fortunately my sister with the key (only 4 miles away) had a spare key, and she wasn't out of town doing something that day.

    Ever since then, I have pocketed a key even if I'm only out in the yard (also replaced the sliding door and it works now, and had the garage doors replaced, including a coded entry system, over the years). But I still pocket that key (suppose the power went out while I was out there? LOL!) I have become my father.

    Glad your permits got approved. Life goes on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My most spectacular lockout was when I was pulling into horse camp a few years ago - I stopped at entrance to get out & hug a friend whom I hadn't seen in a while. Dear Clarice leapt across the cab to bark at her dog & LOCKED THE CAB (motor running, AC on). I had to wait an hour for locksmith to come out from town, fortunately there was room for other rigs to squeeze around us. An expensive, humiliating lesson!

      Delete
    2. Yikes! Car lockouts are the worst! Fortunately my current car won't let me do that.

      Delete
  2. I think the research study is a great idea and so is going back to your M.D. for a follow up.

    I have locked myself out of the house way too many times. Benny has occasionally too. I am glad to see your mom making friends. It sounds like there are people there who care about her.

    I slept poorly last night too. It sucks.

    So glad things can get started with the clinic!! FINALLY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had high hopes of meeting a crew when I got to work this AM but alas, not yet. I know Marvin the contractor is getting everyone lined up for maximum efficiency: plumbers & electricians first, then the framing crew, etc...

      Delete
    2. Things are moving and that is what is important.

      Delete