Monday, June 27, 2022

Doldrums

 I hope this is what this minor setback is - as much as I hate the word “detox” (AFAIK my ol’ liver & kidneys are working just fine, thank you! Just the GI tract giving me some issues),  I am reading of other peoples’ experiences with herbal medicines as their bodies adjust to them. Each night I brew my bitter decoction, let it cool off and slug it down…

However, after that initial 1-lb loss, my weight seems stuck at that upper limit of my “barely acceptable” range. I am bloated & gassy - just as well that Peran stays in the upstairs bedroom (!!). I took him out for a day-before-his-birthday dinner at the Italian joint so no doubt that focaccia bread didn’t help matters.

I didn’t sleep well at all - Zach took a quick weekend trip back to Lubbock so I was on zookeeper duty. I vowed to quit trying to bail him out on his housework but I did clear the dirty dishes out of his sink. If I had more energy I would have done more but at least I got everyone fed & watered - also put off course when the tub of African soft-furs (small rodents which are very high-strung, similar to gerbils) had chewed through their water nozzle & flooded their tub, fortunately hadn’t drowned themselves but were perched on a pile of shavings in the corner like desperate flood victims perched on their roof.

Zach has given me no notification that he’s alive and well since yesterday afternoon about 2 o’clock-ish. He was supposed to return home last night - I will have to go feed & water animals and water his tomato plants if he was delayed. The joys of motherhood never stop.

In other news, my mother’s house has been rented out so I got to break that news to her yesterday. As I anticipated, she didn’t take it too well but at least didn’t argue or cry about it. She sat next to me on the couch afterwards and just leaned her head against my shoulder in a touching gesture of vulnerability and helplessness that really broke my heart. I don’t know what else I can do for her to help her adjust to this new situation. I got all I can deal with this pressure on my chest which I’m sure translates into pericarditis/myocarditis. And I didn’t mention my long-anticipated appointment with new doctor has been delayed until this Thursday since HER mother fell and she had to take her to the ER last Thursday. I feel for her - hopefully injuries were not severe.




3 comments:

  1. Have you had a colonoscopy? Just thinking out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (It’s Val) - dunno why it won’t display me as the illustrious author? Anyway, no I haven’t had that joyous experience (no family history) & I’m confident recent symptoms are secondary to long Covid/GI biome disruptions and my own dietary indiscretions. I seem to have decreasing tolerance to gluten & starch these days. Can “hardly wait” for evaluation by new MD - I know she’s no ob/gyn (also overdue for those checkups since my doctor retired 3 yrs ago) but who knows - with my luck I could have another neoplastic disease! GO FIGURE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take a lot of supplements and they help. Zach is very fortunate to have you. I have come to the point where I allow my child to sink or swim, kind of like the African soft-furs you mentioned. The memes were hilarious. Your situation sucks. If you remember anything I say remember this - elderly people like your mom are just as happy as they chose to be and the ones that choose to be are happy and those who don't are not and will most likely never be.

    ReplyDelete