Friday, July 1, 2022

A Hard Day’s Night

 …followed closely by a hard night’s day - ??!!?? Doesn’t quite have the same resonance, nor the catchy tune accompanying it.

Nevertheless, I’m hitting another hard stretch of trail, with nothing else to do but keep moving forward (obviously). I like the new doctor - we’re running lots of bloodwork and I’ll get that long-overdue cardiac workup scheduled. (She also nagged me about colonoscopy and mammography - yes all these fun-filled diagnostic tests for which I’m overdue) but she also talked me into a Moderna booster which I was highly skeptical of - she claimed it has helped several other patients with long Covid symptoms similar to mine. It does make sense to try to kick the old immune system in the rear end, even though it’s really rough this morning facing a full workday with a sore arm, a dull headache and a resurgence of the same old nagging malaise that has dogged me for these past seven months. I’m attacking it from both sides with Western medicine’s mRNA vaccine coupled with Eastern therapies in the form of acupuncture, yoga, meditation and my herbal potions…

She also did my gynecological exam and another overdue test - my good old-fashioned Pap smear. (Nothing seemed to be amiss OJ ;-) She even played psychiatrist as I explained my dissatisfaction with MDA & recent attempts to find a GP to coordinate This Fine Mess of Val’s health care. She wanted to hear all about my pharmaceutically-resistant depression - maybe I never gave any medication a fair shake but I hated all side effects! I actually wasn't doing too badly with my good ol' "3-legged stool" of diet/exercise/sleep management that is, until my recent trials & tribulations...

Zach’s R shoulder has been paining him (again) but my young man has not committed as to whether he’d rather go back to his surgeon or have my chiropractor evaluate him (he’s got tingling pain and numbness of his outer three fingers). Mommy’s got enough on her plate, darling - I’m happy to help (musculoskeletal injuries seem so much simpler, even though my heart bleeds for my dear boy, probably facing a lifetime of low-grade misery as a consequence of having his arms wrung like a chicken’s neck in high school wrestling matches) - but he’s got to CHOOSE!

Mr Binx chillaxing 
     Beautiful male anole at Z’s

Nice office, hope it’s a good fit for me


7 comments:

  1. For real, that's a housecat??? Cool markings, it looks like an ocelot.
    Glad you got one exam down, now for the next. I haven't reached the ripe 'old' age of 68 by ignoring doctor visits! I woulda been gone a long time ago if I'd not kept to a routine. Even though I've got a lot of medicine in my background, I don't sit too long on self-diagnosis; I feel it's wasted time.
    That being said it sounds more like ulnar nerve entrapment. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, Binx is a bobcat - he was rescued by some well-meaning soul as a kitten (they sincerely thought he was domestic) who snarled up his GI tract & got him hopelessly imprinted on humans (& therefore impossible to release). My technician Misti wound up raising him with her dogs (he thinks he are canine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bobcat seems to be enjoying the housecat life.

    Sounds like the new doctor might be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, I thought I'd lost you! I followed you home from a comment you dropped on my own blog, and have now added you to my "Reading list". So sorry for the rough patch, and sounds like you are attacking the ugly "long haul" with every tool available. Hopefully I will avoid losing the trail again... now to go catch up on your published blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I'd lost you... and now I may have lost the comment I tried to leave here. I added this blog to my reading list, but so far it hasn't popped up there. Here goes me, trying to catch up again on the entries I have missed!

    If I had a pickup, I would be sorely tempted to add a kayak to my collection of stuff for somebody to worry about after I leave it behind? Seriously, for now, with my itty bitty little car? I'm happy to let the kayak rental company make his living!

    So sorry you've had such a rough time with the long-term symptoms, but it sound as though you are throwing every tool you can think of at it. Here's hoping SOMETHING in the mix works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One more try! Hi! Your blog finally showed up in my reading list. Having found you again, trying my best not to lose ya again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your new doctor too. She sounds on the ball. I hope this helps you and that Zach gets some help too for that shoulder.

    What an awesome cat!!! I don't know if I would feel safe around him though, yet I do have an excess of unwanted field mice who insist on joining me indoors and I bet the Mr. Binx household doesn't have that problem.

    Love the Anole and the doctor's office looks posh. I bet they even change the rolling butt paper on the exam table that you sit on there.

    ReplyDelete