Friday, July 8, 2022

Summer of Broken Dreams

 This FB post made an impression upon me this AM: (it continued with The Religion/Spirituality Lecture which I omitted - that part was uninteresting to me)

When you die, don't worry about your body...
Your relatives and funeral staff will do it. I know this first hand. I’ve done it myself…
They will take you out of the house and deliver you to the funeral home of your family’s choice.
They will take off your clothes
They will wash you
They will dress you up
They will even apply makeup to make you look presentable
Many will come to the funeral to honor you.
Some will even cancel their plans and ask for leave to go to the funeral.
Your things--things you hate to be borrowed will be sold, donated or burned.
Your keys
Your tools
Your books
Your CDs, DVDs, games
Your collections
Your clothes...
And be sure the world won't stop and cry for you.
The economy will continue.
You will be replaced in work. Someone with the same or even better ability will take your place.
Your property will switch to heirs.
And don't doubt the small and big things you have done in your life will be spoken of, judged, doubted and criticized.
People who only knew your face will say, ′′Poor thing!"
Your good friends will cry for a few hours or several days, but then they will laugh again.
Your pets will get used to the new owner.
Your pictures will be hanging on the wall for a while, then they will be put on furniture and finally stored at the bottom of the box.
Someone else will sit on your couch and eat from it.
Deep pain in your home will last a year, two, maybe ten... Then you will join the memories and then your story will end.
It will end among people, end here, end in this world.

***********************************************************************
This summer has been almost nightmarish as I struggle on and seem unable to accomplish the simplest things… I was impressed when the cardiology center scheduled my stress echocardiogram for Thursday, but then called while I was at my acupuncture appointment to reschedule since their technician had some sort of emergency. We’re now on for July 21.
Meanwhile I sit here with my low-grade chest discomfort & shortness of breath, coming to the slow realization that I can’t haul off to New Mexico next week - that would be pushing it too hard, basically two days of driving for two days of riding. While that’s a “fair trade” I would’ve done anytime in the past, now I must consider being able to get back & be in a functional state at work - my efficiency is at an all-time low but at least I’m still able to drag through my workdays.
With the abrupt change in plans Thursday, I pivoted and was able to get my mom out to see the new Elvis movie (it’s great but dragged on for almost 3 hours). Since then it has resonated with me - poor Elvis, trapped by his obligations, the proverbial bird in a gilded cage!
I must use my time off next week to get something settled for clinic relocation and get tax stuff organized, here we are deeply into JULY! Ye gads…
Peran went to a “breathwork seminar” last night - as I hovered around an even quieter house, I half expected him to come home & make some grand announcement about our marriage, There’s something else that needs attention, but right now it’s all I can do to keep critters fed & keep my nostrils above the waterline.
One good screenshot from our 4th of July parade - Haylea on Miss Alex, my head visible above that gray gelding’s rump







3 comments:

  1. Comforting, in a way... the circle of life theme in the post. It's so true, those of us who have seen enough folks go over the decades recognize that things adapt to the world's changes. Love the parade photo. Keep on keeping those nostrils above the water line!

    Hugs & sending vibes for comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting FB post. Life is, well, life. Your story doesn't end though. I was looking through some pictures today with my 9YO grandson. I pointed out my dad who died several years before GS was born. "Where's your mom?" he asked. I told him she died a long time ago in 2001. "That's too bad for you, was she nice?" he said, not missing a beat and going on to other things. It's a matter-of-fact question. Was she nice? Yeah, I smiled and went on to other things too. Not quite an end.

    Take care of your health girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very depressing outlook on death but completely true. Some people do make a lasting impression though - good or bad. I still remember famous people who have passed on for completely different reasons. Mother Theresa and Richard Speck. Paul Newman and Ruth Bader Ginsberg. What is really important is that while you were here you made the your world a better place. Three of these people did and one didn't. You and I have.

    I assume they have ruled out simple things like pneumonia.

    My ex and his family were huge Elvis fans. I liked him as a grade schooler but at some point became disappointed in him as a man.

    Loved the parade shot. Good to show the world some of what you have.

    ReplyDelete