Monday, June 6, 2022

Unsweet Dreams Are Made of This

 I hardly got through Mom’s door yesterday before she started in on me: “What do I have to do for you to let me move back HOME?!?”

She has latched onto this concept as her salvation (see previous posts about her unfounded racist fears, she keeps retailing and embellishing the story of her granny’s narrow escape from catastrophe which has grown to legendary status in her mind) and lemme tell ya, it is getting increasingly tempting to say “Yes”just to get her off my back! She pointed out one of the scary neighbors walking down the street whom she has described as a young, able-bodied black man. What I observed was an older, hobbling bald guy - I didn’t walk up to him and asked to see his driver’s license, but I would’ve estimated him to be in his 60’s at least - in other words, well within the demographic of her community. This deterioration in my mom’s faculties is depressing. It’s very sad to see her collapse into herself as she says she “just wants to die in her own home”. I gently reminded her that this facility had been her idea - I’m not trying to be cruel to her.

At the same time I have to be fair to myself - I told her again that I’ve got to get my situation with the clinic settled. I’m still running the three-household circuit even though to a much lesser extent with her in her cottage these days. I have spoken to another corporate veterinary entity with an idea if I could get them to buy the real estate, I could go to work for them as head veterinarian/practice manager. They are having a meeting today and Ryan promised me a call on Tuesday. I just don’t see myself taking on another big mortgage at this stage in the game - nevermind that we’re running out of time for new construction; October will be here before we know it!

Got to shift my freight and get moving this morning. My own dreams are flickering back - I’ve been through a long stretch here where my sleep quality has been so poor I don’t recall any dreams at all

                                               Claude (or Claudette) the beaded lizard

                                                 Mila the Burmese python 


3 comments:

  1. In my opinion, your mother is not capable of living alone safely or taking care of herself well. She seems to be losing her grip on reality. If your mother would take advantage of senior services she would most likely be happier but then some people her age are not happy no matter where they are as they choose not to be. And that probably would not change if she were home.

    I would not want a mortgage either.

    I am sleeping terrible. I'm not sure how to change that but I need to.

    Loved the lizard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sent you a comment and hope you received it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea of working for someone else has some merit. Less responsibility and a regular paycheck. I like it!

    ReplyDelete