Friday, June 3, 2022

Close but No Cigar

 I tried to get my day off to a better start yesterday, really I did! But I dawdled around a bit too long, getting myself up & out the door - so I was just “late enough” to miss Bruce’s Thurs 9 AM class. I missed his Tues night due to the heat - I was afraid to leave lil’ ol’ Clarice in my car, even in the shade it was 95 degrees. I wouldn’t want to lose my Ancient One to heat stroke - she didn’t enjoy camping out in last weekend’s heat either, even though I know she appreciated getting away from the aggravation of the puppy! I find myself touching her tentatively during the night, making sure she’s still breathing. Zach observed her stiff-legged waddle on Easter weekend (when we ALL got a dose of Z’s realism) & declared she wouldn’t last long - I asked him to let ME be the judge of that… Mommy will make that quality-of-life decision when it’s time. If the rescue’s info was accurate, she’ll be 18 this summer - I don’t know her birthday but I suppose we can celebrate it in conjunction with Baraq & Z’s?

I went for my 4th or 5th week of acupuncture which activated an ache from my bruised L hip - Dr H found it impressive. All of my little meridian graphs are in the green now. Dr H’s adjustment table has a gentle rocking/stretching action which I find quite pleasant & relaxing - he also uses an adjusting mallet-type device which I like much better than conventional yank/twist type chiro adjustments. Next week he’ll be out of town, but I’ll be treated by his daughter.

Zach & I took many photos for upcoming reptile expo (Father’s Day weekend). He insisted on having me pose with Mila (6.5’ juvenile Burmese python) - great, more unflattering photos to goad Val onwards!

Z has not shared these with me yet so I can’t share them with you - we are hoping the stars of the show will be these adorable baby blue-tongued skinks which are growing like proverbial weeds! I can hardly believe my eyes. He lost the runt, but out of a huge litter of 12 I think this is still amazing.



I have no size reference but they are almost as long as my hand, 2 wks old & 6-8” long. The baby dragons are doing great also,  even though he lost one to predation (don’t ask, just don’t!) and another tiny female had her front leg crushed in some unknown trauma,  I had to amputate but Zach assures me somebody will think a “special needs” dragon is just what their family needs - of course she will adapt and she’s already getting around fine on three legs


4 comments:

  1. I never really got why anyone would want to have a reptile for a pet. I've kept fish, but they're more decorative. Mostly I want something furry to cuddle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reptiles certainly fall more under the category of a pet to admire rather than handle extensively, although of course there are exceptions. Tame individuals appreciate our body heat - there were many evenings when I came home from college classes to find my dad asleep in his recliner with my boa constrictor ALSO asleep, loosely coiled around him. I even have an old photo which I need to post!

      Delete
  2. I like lizards and had one briefly as a child before mom found out. I am not into snakes. I love turtles. Love them.

    ReplyDelete