Monday, June 20, 2022

One Mission Accomplished

 Zach & I returned from the reptile expo with empty tanks - we dispersed all of the baby skinks & baby beardies with the exception of the one with the leg amputation. “Tripod” will be going to a client of mine who brought Zach a juvenile Sulcata tortoise in a very lopsided trade. (The crippled baby beardie probably has a value of $50, but a female Sulcata who has decades of life at about 1/3 of her adult size is worth several hundred dollars - but of course Z will get her set up with a habitat which has around $200 value. I warn clients all the time, quite often it’s not the animal that is expensive, it is getting the habitat set up correctly!)

Tina the water monitor will be traveling to Tulsa to become the mascot of a pet store there - Zach was very sad to rehome her but he just didn’t have the space. Monitor lizards are also pets which people buy impulsively as babies, not recognizing they’re going to grow to tremendous size and basically need a spare bedroom as a habitat. I could’ve made a terrific video of all the people coming by who did a doubletake upon seeing her - whoa, look at that!

I miscalculated booking my motel room over by the expo center - I failed to take into account the fact that Zach needed to come home Sat night and take care of the rest of his critters… I should’ve just stayed in Mesquite but it worked out OK - I drove Zach home, then took his car back to my motel so he was just responsible for loading up things Sunday morning and getting to the show on time. What an awesome test of responsibility, huh?

I’m pretty tired this morning since I worked all through the weekend, but I’m proud of Zach, encouraged for the growth of his business, and happy to stay connected with the herpetological community which after all, is where I met his father in the first place. Is this supreme irony or what? Photo dump to follow.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds exhausting working every day but I am glad to see Zach doing so well with this business. Your help is invaluable, I'm sure. Can't imagine having a pet monitor lizard!

    ReplyDelete