Friday, June 14, 2024

The Dose Makes the Poison

 Can’t recall where I first read that chestnut, but nothing is more true! I started to title this “ALL Alcohol is Poison” just to drive the point through my thick skull… Absolutely no one pinned me down & poured merlot down my throat; it was naught but peer pressure. I drank ONE & only one mini 6-oz bottle last night with my friend**, yet I felt the sleep-disrupting, mildly foggy-headed effects this AM. (Jaime had 2 as we kidded her she was “cut off” bcz she couldn’t twist off the cap, and apparently she’s still asleep this morning)

** much more economical to drink at home at approximately $2/serving than to pay $8-10 a glass at the restaurant. 

It is wild to me as I look around and see the havoc that alcohol wreaks: this legal drug which is so firmly entrenched in our culture. I watched it destroy the life & family of my uncle, who was a lifelong alcoholic, as I continue to see its ill effects spread throughout so many others - friends, acquaintances, clients… My former receptionist Tamara is slowly dying of cirrhosis; it’s tragic to witness.

I missed my follow-up phone consultation with the nutritionist on Wednesday since I was snowed under with emergencies: another C-section and a sick puppy belonging to my housekeeper. Not much to report since I can’t discern much benefit (yet?) from the new supplement regimen. As usual, I have not been terribly compliant in my diet - I remain “flawed & imperfect”. But I’ll keep trying - I heard a inspiring segment yesterday about a group called Girl Trek which encourages women to do simple & easy  interventions like getting out of your house to walk for 30 minutes a day. 30 minutes sounds like Mount Everest at this point, but we’ve all gotta start somewhere. “Never give up, never surrender “…

2 comments:

  1. I was a heavy drinker at one time of beer but then I grew up on it. I was given my first sips of beer at 6 months old and was raised on it just like my cousins. Dad drank beer his entire life. His limit was 2 a day. Mom drank when she was younger but quit. My first husband is an alcoholic. I was never an alcoholic. I quite decades ago cold turkey just like I quit smoking. With no problems. I don't miss either really though sometimes a cold beer sounds nice. I gave up drinking all coffee too when my former doctor convinced me scientifically that it was causing some of my medical problems. There are foods that I don't tolerate and I have nixed them too. Addiction is a huge problem for so many. I feel fortunate to not have that kind of personality.

    I also need to concentrate more on my own needs but Benny and his cancer consume my life.





    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, poison indeed. One glass and I get a headache. I USED to enjoy a glass or two.

    ReplyDelete