Tuesday, June 11, 2024

r/Tragedeighs

 I’m well aware that I waste FAR too much time skimming social media - but I swear, on Reddit you can find every permutation & combination imaginable of bizarre stories and family tragedies - even a little honest-to-God news with spirited debate here & there! It's very entertaining...

Tragedeigh = a given name that has been deliberately misspelled or completely made up to appear more unique than it actually is.

It’s also a good place to read about situations even more screwed-up than your own, misery loving company & so forth… here we are going into day 5 and I seem to be stable: not feeling great but certainly not feeling like I’m coming down with (a new case of) Covid either. Zach sounded a little bit better last night but he still didn’t want me to risk delivering his birthday presents (not much, really, - just a couple of polo shirts and a small set of Legos as a gag gift). 

I’m staring down the barrel of one month before my beloved New Mexico trip and I am questioning my stamina A.) to make that drive and B.) to complete any rides. I am sick & tired of being sick & tired, but if I give up all my recreational activities, what then? I am already down on myself for neglecting my home but I’ve got to save most of my energy for the clinic these days. Yesterday I took out a nasty splenic tumor from a couple’s beloved 10-year-old German shepherd. He did well, but as always we had to have that extensive discussion that there aren’t any guarantees! Maximus couldn’t carry on with intermittent internal bleeding of what I suspect is a malignant tumor - I consoled them that of course it would be reasonable to contemplate euthanasia (he had collapsed at home one night, necessitating a trip to the veterinary ER), but they wanted to try. Hopefully I’ve bought him some time. These are the kind of cases that cement my resolve - I’m the only one in this part of the county that can do these things. The emergency clinic is too expensive (as is the referral surgical center across town), and most of my younger colleagues seem to be terrified of surgery?

I’ve got to keep on keeping on - for myself (what kind of "endurovet" would I be if I stopped distance riding?!?), for my son (I can't dump this Godawful mess in his lap!), for my employees & clients. Still suffering an extreme case of aggravation-with-spouse, but my farm hand did complete some of the mowing & smoothed out some of the ruts in the driveway, then acted very strangely as he literally backed away from me when I went in for the goodnight hug last weekend. He then tried to deny it, but I'm too tired to argue.


                                   "East Texas rain gauge" - all too true, unfortunately!

& here Misti forwarded an “action shot” from yesterday’s splenectomy… (a video would’ve been even more dramatic - the only thing saving Maximus from bleeding to death was the fat pad overlying his spleen: when I pulled it back, this little artery was spurting merrily. Very much a “now you see it/now you don’t” situation. The primary tumor was actually fairly small, but you can see in the green circle where it had ruptured through the capsule of his spleen. Fingers crossed as we await his biopsy report but as I’ve already said, we’re basically buying Maximus some more (good quality) time with his family.
No, don’t routinely wear a cap and mask, nor am I in the habit of coughing or sneezing onto my patients 

3 comments:

  1. Glad you are still okay but the Covid incubation period supposedly can take up to 21 days which is convenient so you don't know who to kill. I hope you feel well enough for the New Mexico ride. You must stay strong. So many people depend on you!

    I think doing surgery would be very rewarding because it actually can permanently fix some problems while pills usually don't. I once had a primary doctor who was a surgeon because he liked me and took me away from another doctor. He was very interesting and gave me the most unique view of what being a surgeon is like. He said that he is a mechanic. Loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geez, don’t tell me 21 days! I’m just going by what happened with Zach & Victoria: Victoria got home from her trip Monday, was sick on Wednesday, went to urgent care Thursday, and then Zach got sick Saturday. Now they both seem to be finished with the worst of it - Victoria will try to go back to work today.
      But yep, surgeons are definitely craftsmen & mechanics - I find it more rewarding because you’re working with living tissue. “A chance to cut is a chance to cure!”

      Delete
    2. After my first time with Covid, in early 2019 before they knew much of anything about it, I have been paranoid of this Captain Trips virus. It was a gift from my hubby's boss - a world traveler and the U.S. had no idea how to handle it other than keeping the victims of it from killing anyone else. So I suffered with the weirdest virus I've ever had and ended up with neurological problems. Long Haulers sucks and it took me a long time to recover and I still think I have permanent damage. And I think you do too. From personal experience the first cases were much worse than today's version. So I keep a watch on it and I don't want it a third time. If someone is coughing or looks sick I flee from them. We are always masked as hubby has low WBC from chemo. It doesn't prevent us from getting it but it is all we can do.

      I like task oriented goals. I don't like when things can't be fixed. Putting things right inside someone's body would be very rewarding to me. I would much rather be doing surgery than listen to patients whine about their bowels. Not that it isn't important but, after being a critical care nurse, a lot of different kinds of nursing are boring. Right from the get-go I did not want to do certain kinds of nursing. Like insurance nursing, office nursing, peds, OB, psych nursing, V.A. nursing, etc. Yuck. My nursing friends who were not Critical Care nurses said they didn't understand how I could stand to work with so many machines and I like it and under such stress. It was interesting, challenging, seldom boring.

      Delete