Monday, August 14, 2023

Minor Celebrations

 Once again, another trail-riding buddy offered the sanctuary of their beautiful home & swimming pool for a “Too Hot To Ride” get-together Saturday night… I treated myself to a “mini-yoga retreat” by taking 2 classes Saturday morning: Vinyasa flow w/Kristy (new class & instructor to me), followed by Yin relaxation w/Shana. I picked up my neighbor who recently lost her husband, she was very appreciative.

My mood has been somber - not only from lack of riding! My mother’s ongoing struggles to adapt to her new living situation are distressing - actually this is the opposite of adaptation; it’s desperate attempts to turn back the clock & return things to the way she’d like them to be: ideally back when my father was alive, at the very least when she herself was stronger & self-sufficient… She once again refused offers of showering so I didn’t force the issue. (This reminds me to search out a refill for the Chanel bath powder that she loves) And I found a “Showering Chart” in the laundry room - I’m going to add mom’s number and see what happens?

We were both depressed after receiving bad news about my cousin’s wife - her back pain has been diagnosed as metastatic cancer! Primary tumor unknown - they are meeting with her doctors today to formulate a plan. Of course I mentioned MD Anderson, but Clifford doesn’t think it’s practical? I have ominous premonitions; this reminds me, distressingly enough, of Peran’s Mum 6 yrs ago (she was gone 4 mos after diagnosis).

I took Zach & Victoria to the Brazilian steakhouse last night for our celebratory dinner - Calculus class passed and a “B” in Physics! I’ve been angling to go see “Oppenheimer” but haven’t carved out the time for a 3-hour movie yet… Maybe next weekend?

Zach gifted Caroline, the beloved bearded dragon he raised from a tiny hatchling, to my girl Kristy’s 7-yr old son. Gunner was beyond thrilled.
Cheesecake to top off a great meal at the Brazilian steakhouse (they had picanha but it wasn’t QUITE as savory as JR’s!)

Last night I seemed to mostly sweat & doze. Pretty damn miserable - I seem to require about an hour & a half of “Deep Sleep”, while last night I only got 19 minutes 

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on Zachs scholarly accomplishments! WTG!

    Has mom seen her MD for attention to depression/elderly dementia/ just plain miserable? Maybe mood altering meds might help?

    I heard Oppenheimer was great but depressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And THIS is why I bemoan the state of "healthcare" in these United States... I took Mom for an exam 3.5 wks ago - they ran bloodwork & did extensive questionnaires (courtesy of Medicare) which showed that Mom has some degree of cognitive decline, but which has resulted in ZERO action!
      No recommended follow-up, certainly no medication (which Mom would be highly resistant to taking anyway, but still???)

      Delete
  2. Adding my congrats for Zach's academic success! And what a lovely celebratory meal.

    (( hugs )) for all you do and soothing thoughts for your worries about others. Restorative sleep wished your way, too, to complement the self-care you're doing. You're worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good pool. The only thing I miss about my first husband was our 15 x 33 feet pool. LOL. Oh, and the dog and cat. But the dog died shortly before we split up.

    Your horse group sounds awesome. My mom and dad's best friends when I was young were like your group. They reminded me of Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. They and their sons were active in saddle clubs. He was an announcer all over Southern Illinois for them.

    I love Chanel. One of the first fragrances I ever liked.

    So sorry to hear about your cousin's wife and your continuing struggles to help your mom.

    Gunner and Caroline are the perfect couple!!

    The meal sounded awesome. Nothing Brazilian in my area other than some clothing. mozaics, and cologne bottles my mom brought me back from Rio.

    ReplyDelete