Friday, August 18, 2023

Don’t Always Get What You Want

 Let us all break into song here: “But if you try sometimes, ya might get what you need!!!”

A minor crash after what feels like many weeks of heightened adrenaline - Brooks (city manager of Ferris) handed me a check for $100K** yesterday afternoon, which I then made a desperate rush across N Ellis County to deposit (no Wells Fargo branch in Ferris). I feel as if I can take a full breath again as I have watched the bills pile up these past 2 wks…

**$100K sounds like a lot - & it certainly is, I don’t mean to sound ungrateful - but the invoice on the top of my heap is from my HVAC guys for $44K, which doesn’t even include some additional ventilation fans and UV fixtures for disinfection (hopefully that won’t be more than another $5K, but there’s half those funds gone). A few pharmaceutical bills, a couple of credit card payments, and catching up on my overdue quarterly tax payments and “poof” there it goes! My mistake, I guess, was paying for everything as I went along - trying to maintain my status quo which was having everything paid for… perhaps the lesson here is, don’t get your financial planning advice from an Aggie?

My CPA is gonna have one hell of a mess to straighten out but that’s what I pay her for! I’ll buy her a nice bottle of wine, perhaps, or some other sort of thank-you gift. A grim laugh as I contemplate those old realities, death and taxes. It is surely above my pay grade to fix our system, but something is dreadfully wrong when I can have my choice of drowning in debt, being taxed to death, or both simultaneously!

My mood was really low the other night, but I decided there were still a few things this ol’ carcass wants: one will be picking up Annie Saturday and see if she has any potential, taking her to a few fall rides. The other is completing this damn clinic project so myself, my clients and employees can enjoy the new facility - and the third constant is, as always, taking care of my critters. My hubby has retreated to his upstairs office - six months of unemployment and I still don’t know what his big plan is? At this point, I would’ve taken a job at Buc-ee’s just to have something to do…

Atlas is off to shoulder the world’s burdens.




3 comments:

  1. Not sure if I get what I want or need. Probably because my needs have always been so minimal and my wants so off-the- charts. Needs for me are air, water, food, another human, clothing, sleep, car, shelter, though the last 4 are iffy at times. I sleep pathetically. Have almost been homeless more than once. My cars are practically antiques. And if you could see my clothes you would assume I needed help. Bag lady? LOL. I am definitely not a fashionista. My wants are another thing. I would like to be a god of some kind. At least in charge of some aspect of the world where I could end suffering, cure disease and religious/political zealotry, rule the weather, stop idiocy, etc.

    Thank goodness some money has come in!! I hope that it will be enough. Maybe you can get that house sold quickly.

    Picking up Annie sounds like the way to go. Your goals sound great. Loved the memes. I am so there too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That final meme is very wise. All of life's decisions are gambles of one sort or another. Oh, do I ever know how fast money goes when you have big projects that went on. Also know the "pay as you go" gene (got that from my parents) so it's not just Aggies, Val. It's having parents who were alive during the depression (maybe just as children, but they have been shaped nonetheless). Use it up, wear it out, make it do... and don't borrow unless you absolutely HAVE to.

    Hope that soon it's much easier for you to breathe and that you and your clients and critters can really enjoy the new facility!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto on the meme.

    Moving things off your plate one at a time is helpful. Removing them from your worry list in your head is harder.
    My daughter is in a similar boat as you. Hubby lost his job 3 months ago and is slow to get a new one, She's a bartender, for heaven's sake! Yet, she's managed to bring in enough to pay the bills while he looks for the "right job".

    ReplyDelete