Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Just Hangin’ On

 I need to insert that ancient meme of the kitten hanging onto its rope “Friday’s Coming!”

I figuratively scratched my head when our Ferris City Manager mentioned “August 11th” concerning my Economic Development grant, since the city offices aren’t even OPEN on Fridays?!? But figured beggars can’t be choosers, I could keep juggling… However, Brooks emailed me a copy of their agreement Monday which stated he’d have it on the agenda for NEXT Monday (the 14th). No idea how soon after that I might actually receive these desperately needed funds. I could go talk to my CPA, I suppose, although I feel at this point she’d just be telling me what a fool I’ve been. No doubt she’ll curse me roundly when I pile tax info on her desk & she has to straighten this horrible mess out.

But hey, at least my husband didn’t curse when I told him I was too good at my volunteer task of putting a few trail miles on Annie - now Sam & Gayle want me to buy her! Now this juggling act might just work out, if Debbie takes Bo. I laughed aloud when she said she wanted him - full disclosure of his “two strikes” (cancer eye & colic surgery); I know she needed to discuss with her hubby so I haven’t heard anything back from her yet. Peran’s main concern is that the net number of ponies in the barn remains stable, all puns intended!

Of course I’d much rather speculate about horse futures than business futures, but for now I’ve got to get on to work. At least we’re busy unlike one of my young colleagues who is also struggling along:

“I'm a new practice owner, only been open 3 months. I know it takes time to build a client base. But I am so scared everyday. We've only been averaging about 2 cases per day. I have working capital from a bank loan, and I just see it slowly draining with each passing month. At this rate I'll be bankrupt before the new year. I'm not even paying myself anything. With overhead being what it is, I'm not going to last long.

Every spare moment I have is going into advertising and making content. We get hundreds of "clicks" but my phone is not ringing.

Owners, tell me it gets better. Tell me there's options. I can't fail. I can't afford to fail.“





3 comments:

  1. We no longer have a CPA and our investment counselors seem to quit all the time. Can't remember how many we have had but to me they mostly draw a paycheck.

    Hopefully the horse trading will all work out. LOL,

    Yikes on the new vet. I had no idea it would be this hard to get clients. I do know that in my area we have a lot of irresponsible pet owners who have no need of a vet. So glad you are busy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (( )) Plodding along... glad you're still breathing, you are a plus to the world, animal and human, Val!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you are doing that balancing on a razor thing right now. Steady and straight!

    ReplyDelete