Wednesday, April 3, 2024

The Beginning of the End

 …vs The End of this Beginning?

Everyone has been complimentary of our “new remodeled” building, even as there remains much to be done. The walls are (mostly) bare, we’ve got to finish out the back, where surgery/radiology, isolation ward & kennels will be… Misti made labels for the cabinets in which we’ve spread out the pharmaceuticals, and our new lab equipment was installed last week.

But then yesterday morning when I made my usual “check-in” call to my mother, she reported that she had fallen & bruised up her R arm. It doesn’t appear to be broken, “only” discolored (she bruises so easily!) and swollen around her wrist & top of her hand. I realize full well that I could be wrong about her fragile old bones; I thought her facility had mobile X-Ray capability but apparently they do not. The house call physician will be by to see her today, but I didn’t see the point of dragging her out to sit at the ER where she might be exposed to other germs. Her facility had a minor Covid outbreak last month. She managed to eat half her cheeseburger (which is her usual habit anyway) last night. I’m a little spooked since Carla’s mom suffered a fall, the week before she died - similarly didn’t seem badly hurt, just bruised & shaken up, but she declined rapidly.

And today I won’t have Dr M’s help - they’ve gone to CO to visit family. AFAIK Sheila their GSD is doing fine, we await biopsy results on her spleen. I’ll throw in some gory photos later, gotta get on with things now!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait for pictures of the new clinic. I hope the people of this town are appreciative of this perk. I hope you have pet pictures on the walls of all kinds. (Hint) LOL. Ot at least a place for people to post their own pet pictures. Maybe your clients will supply great pictures. Pet pictures are what I like to see in vets offices and I have been in a lot of them. It's also nice to have office pets. You can always bring yours from home sometimes. Our exotic vets had them. One had reptiles and another had birds and another cats. Ignore me if you must but I love to be surrounded by animals. It's a shame you probably can't have an office horse. LOL. I would have an office goat. I am very into them. One of the neighbor's goats who was my favorite died recently. We named her Stomper. I know where all the neighborhood big animals live. I love country scenery but the animals are more attractive to me. I plan my trip to town by the best animal routes. LOL. I often see 40 or more animals on the way to town. Not counting wild animals.

    Benny and I are, unfortunately, getting to have more in common with your mom. I have fallen in the bathtub twice in the last month. I almost had to take Benny to the E.R. twice in the last few days. Being a nurse helped me avoid that for the same reason you don't want your mom going. We just got over the nasal infection from Hades. Never seen so much nasal mucous come out of 2 people in 2 days. Gross.

    Glad Sheila is doing well.

    I await the gore photos. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your mom's fall does not have the kinds of consequences that have you spooked. Doesn't really help when we worry, does it? But, as they say, "tell it to my gut". I'm imagining your new clinic, and all the little touches that are falling into place.

    ReplyDelete