Monday, April 22, 2024

Love & Physics

 I am very fond of poetry and I appreciate that old Ecclesiastical phrase: “To everything there is a season”

All relationships seem to wax and wane like the phases of the moon; this is especially true of a marriage. With my recent infatuation with Oppenheimer, I joke to myself about the “physics” of my second marriage: Peran occupies space, he has mass - therefore, he irritates me! Please believe me - I am NOT a nag; I keep these irritations to myself, even as I strive valiantly to reward every fraction of good behavior just like every other form of training.

Last week as I was hitching up the horse trailer (a process with which Peran is intimately familiar),  he failed to pick up the chock under the jack. I proceeded to back over it, hit the obstacle but fortunately only bent the handle & did not damage anything on the truck differential. I took my truck in last week for what I presumed was routine maintenance, but I always trust the service manager to give it a good once-over for roadworthiness. When he found multiple issues (I was worried because the air conditioning didn’t seem to be getting as cold as it normally does) I pleaded that I had obligations last weekend so I needed my truck back by Friday night. Eric came through for me, but Peran kept on texting me for updates - I told him I wasn’t bothering the man until after 3 PM so he could concentrate on getting the work done! (The dealership has a new concierge service where they will pick up your vehicle and bring it back… They had picked up the truck on Tuesday but of course, with a tight schedule on Friday I had to get Peran to take me back to the dealership to pick it up - shouldn’t be a big deal for an unemployed person, should it??)

I had the trailer loaded and ready**, so Friday night I could back right up under it, get hitched, load Silas and head to horse camp which was only about an hour and a half away. We had cloudy overcast skies and misting rain most of the day Saturday, then the bottom fell out late Saturday afternoon with heavy thunderstorms. My neighbor brought over a brand new rain sheet which she had ordered for her pony but was a little too small for him - fortunately it fit Silas perfectly! We canceled Sunday’s ride since everything had turned so marshy - I’m glad I was parked at the top of the hill where I could get out fairly easily. The NATRC crew was welcoming as always as they continue to try to recruit me into their ranks.

** I had asked Peran to load a big square bale for me which would last probably for two or three rides - he declined at the time because of course rain was forecast; as the days of the week trickled by, he didn’t do it so I finally broke a bale and loaded half a bale myself. I know they are my horses & my responsibility, but to my eyes, again it was a minor task to ask of my husband?

At least cancellation of Sunday’s ride means I got back several hours earlier so I was able to deliver some medication to Victoria‘s grandfather who is now struggling with oral thrush after his radiation treatments. He is very thin and basically living off soup! After checking on them, Zach and I went and shared some soup dumplings which are really excellent. I did not make it by to check on my own mother,  but to a certain extent I now have to trust the facility to take care of her. There’s only so much I can do.

3 comments:

  1. Phases of relationships, for sure. "The Kids" (my son and his wife) celebrated their first year of marriage, yesterday, and her folks took the five of us to dinner at the same place we had the wedding supper last year. Good food, good friends, and good stories of the things that happen between spouses.

    You are so right about having to let go and trust the care-givers at some point. "There's only so much" applies in so many places in a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You take care of so many people! Remember yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the things that I don't like much about men is their sense of entitlement. They expect us, since we are women, to meet their daily needs and demands but anything they do for us is a favor, which they may or not be agreeable to. I believe in rewarding good behavior too and there it not enough of it for long periods of time. I have never been one to believe in long-suffering. I believe in fairness. Doing the right thing without having to nudge and push. One should not have to nag. I'm not a nag either which my first MIL insisted I needed to be. She could have been right but I was not wanting to mother a grown man.

    Glad you could at least get away for part of the weekend. It is raining so much here that we can't plan a lot.

    Agree about the care-givers. They are getting paid to do a job.

    ReplyDelete