Tuesday, April 16, 2024

DOMS is For Realz

 (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) - always kicks in worse at about the 48-hr mark. Sunday I felt pretty good - I was riding high on adrenaline and a sense of accomplishment. But over the course of my busy workday yesterday, I could feel myself stiffening up; last night after I got home and sat in the recliner for a couple of hours, it was hard to get up! But I forced myself upstairs to feed Athena (my baby tortoise) and did a brief, easy yoga routine which helped tremendously. I think I need to title my memoirs “I’d never have lived this long if it weren’t for Yoga”.

Sunday night I was a little wound up from the weekend’s festivities so I didn’t sleep terribly well, but last night was a little bit better. Even Peran slept in a little bit this morning - I was getting ready to go check on him but he stumbled downstairs by the time I came up from the barn. (Said he was too hot last night - we always try to delay the inevitable use of air conditioning; usually we can put it off until the first week of May)

Today I’m taking my truck in for routine service as I have this short stretch of good spring riding: next weekend I’ve promised to go be emergency standby vet at the NATRC ride near Waco, The weekend after that I have a “real” ride at LBJ Natl Grasslands near Decatur, and then we have a ride over Mother’s Day weekend in Cleburne.

Monday, May 13 I will be getting the best possible Mother’s Day gift of all time: Zach will be graduating!!! I can hardly believe it myself; I certainly don’t wanna jinx anything by speaking these words into existence - but I did ask Dr M  to cover for me. Of course I will be there front and center and we will celebrate the entire livelong day!

I will have to add more of my reminiscences about traveling the I-30 corridor when I have a little more time -  shouldn’t have taken that snooze interval this morning…

Had to add a few photos taken by Tyra - 






3 comments:

  1. That's such exciting news about Zach's graduation, that I had to put it first in my comment!

    Your DOMS schedule and mine are about on track... it's not the first day after an endurance event, but the second day that I feel it the most!

    We, too, have had the heat, although probably not as much as you get in TX! It was getting so warm I put on the AC and moved the puppy "safe space" to the Kitchen/dining room so the little one would be more comfortable overnight.

    Enjoy your upcoming rides!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get back to yoga. I did Qigong for a while and it was very beneficial. Even hubby liked it.

    It was 90 so we put the bedroom A/C in. Finally. We were not sleeping well at all. The big window unit in the dining room is always in. Too heavy for us to remove.

    You will be one proud mama!!

    Love those pictures and am glad you will have more opportunity to ride soon.

    ReplyDelete