Thursday, October 19, 2023

Widowmaker Confirmed

 (With apologies for blunt title; I was trying to think of something more poetic but sometimes it needs to be “Just the facts”)

Things have started moving more quickly - the coroner confirmed that Ken had not just one, but two coronary artery blockages. (I’m hearing all this thirdhand from Kate by way of Peran so I actually don’t know if this was the infamous “widowmaker” left anterior occlusion?) But obviously we may never know if Ken had any premonitory signs, that’s the true heartbreaker. Ken will be cremated and Kate is scheduling the funeral for Wed Nov 1st. Peran will fly out Sun 10/29, I can cancel Tues afternoon appts (already got a full slate of AM surgeries lined up Mon & Tues), reschedule Wed surgeries, & catch the Tues evening red-eye to London. Hop the train to Coventry Wed AM & be there in time for the service. Dr M can cover her normal workday on Wed & can also work for me Friday. (While it seems really strange to me for Peran to bounce back that quickly, I am asking no questions of him!) P & I will be flying back Friday 11/03.

I know I only flew out in essence for the day of my sister’s funeral but that was a completely different scenario.

Here’s my emotional support critters, they’ve got such rough lives!



4 comments:

  1. Glad things are working out as far as travel logistics and all those pesky post-mortem details. I remember cracking bad black-humor jokes in the aftermath of losing my brother, knowing he'd be up for that sort of thing himself. Nobody knows but the family themselves what works for THEM.

    May your menagerie and clients weather your necessary absence and all of you be sheltered through this time!

    (( hugs ))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Men are not good at admitting physical problems and often what you find is behavior that suggests they had some kind of epiphany and started making lifestyle changes like diet changes and exercise.

    It sounds like you have come up with a good plan. You are handing this perfectly. Sending a prayer for all of you. Hugs.

    By the way - you need a bigger couch. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (It’s me of course - my iPad likes me to remain anonymous ;-) But yes, by all outward appearances Ken did it all “right”: he remained thin, was very athletic & active, ate a moderate diet while enjoying a few pints or his glass of wine with dinner… From all outward appearances, there was little cardiac disease in the Trenberth family tree. Degenerative & neoplastic ailments, certainly…

      Delete
    2. Genetics certainly plays a part plus environment but then there are always aberrancies which crop up. My childhood best friend's mom had a lot in common with Ken. The family came home one day and found her dead sitting in her chair next to a cup of coffee. It was the first time I considered such things. Very shocking.

      Delete