Monday, October 30, 2023

Eight is Enough

 Back to a full-stall barn - prepping for 8 ponies is plenty of work as the weather dives into wintry nastiness…

Monsoon season resumed last week as we are replenished from our summer drought - while I certainly can’t complain about this rain, being soaked with more than 8” this past weekend has resulted in some flooding. I just missed my window of opportunity to get a round bale put out (my feed store is closed on Wednesday, the rain rolled in that night & hasn’t let up since!) which leaves me puzzling us to what I’ll do for the brief period we’ll be gone for Ken‘s funeral… Peran flew out yesterday, I’ll be busting my tail to leave Tues afternoon. The red-eye arrives in London shortly after 6 AM; P already texted me the train schedules so I’ll figure it out. And while I find it mystifying that Peran booked our return flights on Friday, I’m grateful I’ll have the weekend to recover before the merry-go-round starts spinning again next Monday.

I offered to take Peran out for breakfast yesterday - he declined, so I made brunch at home for the first time in I-don’t-know-when (when Zach was home, mom’s Sunday breakfast was a tradition). Nothing fancy - bacon & eggs! but P seemed appreciative.

Much more logistically to line up so I’d better get moving.

3 comments:

  1. We will have our first hard freeze here tonight. Ugh.

    Can't imagine having 8 horses. We never had more than 2 when I was a young teen.

    I am glad you will have some rest before returning to work too. You body will have to endure a very stressful week.

    Most men do respond well to home cooking. Benny looks forward to a good meal. Lives through his stomach.

    Pace yourself. Sending a prayer and a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite a turn-around. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May your chores be done, and your travel be smooth, and the time with family be healing!

    ReplyDelete