Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Ongoing Judgement

 My beloved cousin John called yesterday AM shortly after 7:00 (he’s an early bird) as I was still stumbling around trying to get my rear in gear… mainly he was checking to see if Peran was still on US soil, which he is until more is known - the complicating factor is that P has allowed both his US and UK passports to expire. (He was bound and determined throughout Covid that he was not going to comply with vaccination or testing requirements for travel) Whomever he spoke to (at the state department, I presume) told him when he has his flights booked, he can go downtown and pay the expedited processing fees to get his passport renewed…

Ken’s postmortem will be performed today as we remain in limbo - again, I’m making the very large assumption that funeral arrangements will be stretched out as they seem to do “across the pond” and hopefully with a couple of weeks’ advance notice, I’ll be able to arrange my schedule to go.
I glanced at airfares about a month out (economy of course; whenever we’ve caught the red-eye to London I’ve longingly surveyed the Business pods, where one can stretch out in privacy, but at 4-5X the cost of economy, that ain’t gonna happen!) which appear to be $8-900. Not too bad, but then it’s $850 a day for the days Dr M covers for me - I’ve joked around over the years that I can take exactly as much vacation as I can afford! Dr M hasn’t even been informed of Ken’s death yet because last weekend they were attending the memorial service in CO for her own son - I didn’t want to impinge on that with more sad news! I’ll be able to tell her face to face today.
I’ve “borrowed” money from my mom’s investment account to pay some bills; might as well dig this hole a little deeper! And after weeks of going round & round, Dr Williams (the male option) will be seeing my mom today - my friend Toni can go in my stead, since no doubt Mom will insist everything is “fine”: she’ll fail to mention her insomnia, episodes of confusion, or discuss her steadfast refusal to participate in community activities… I’m not expecting much, but perhaps he’ll prescribe a sleep aid or an antidepressant.
Better finish my coffee and get on with my day.

5 comments:

  1. When you talk about your mom "failing to mention" things to the doctor, I can't help but feel a companionship with her. I clam up in front of doctors and forget even those things I wrote down to mention! "It's just so good to see you" reaction? Seriously, I forget most of what I might have whined about!

    Oh, I sure hope the financial storms come to a resolution for you, and soon! Talk about piling stress upon stress. Family health and life and death pile atop everything else.

    (( hugs )) and hope the coffee and you make it through another day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I tend to "put on a happy face" even when consulting with a psychiatrist in years past for my chronic depression - in search of an antidepressant which was "just right" for me, pulling me out of the trench without too many side effects (so far such a wonder drug does not exist for me).

      Delete
  2. I don't pretend to understand men. Peran's refusal to protect himself and others baffles me. Has Peran indicated that he would like you to come to his brother's funeral? I hope so. I tend to think Peran may be a candidate for some antidepressants too. I have thought that for some time now. I think most of us might need them at some point or another in this roller coaster called life. Humans have a lot to deal with. Even animals have stress and grieve. I sent a prayer for your mom, Peran, and you - the one who has to hold everything together against fatiguing odds. Keep putting one step in front of the other. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peran has always been "non-demonstrative", but yes, he does seem to want my companionship for Ken's funeral... At least he hasn't made any snarky comments about attending his brother's funeral when I didn't make it across for either of his parents.
      I was joking with him this morning about bringing Izzy in so we can run her rabies titer for me to get her a canine passport - he said oh no, I think a short trip would be too hard on her! But while I'll be doing the quick bounce, it would be possible for P to stay longer - who knows if he will?

      Delete
    2. I am so relieved that Peran wants you there. It's so important that you be there with him. Pace yourself. You have a lot on your plate. Lots of respiratory problems rearing it's ugly head again in my area. Benny's oncologist asked to make sure we had caught up on all of the newest vaccines yesterday. Hugs.

      Delete