Wednesday, October 11, 2023

My Kingdom for a…

 (Fill in the blank) - for most, it would be a horse, but for my friend Donna, she really wanted a dwarf reticulated python!

I’ve known Donna for many years - after decades of weight struggles (just like me), she underwent bariatric surgery 3-4 yrs ago (if memory serves, shortly pre-pandemic) and completely transformed herself. She was having neck & back issues (perhaps we are sisters under the skin), and “went gaited” (bought Silas) last year. But then she got her Andalusian colt back from the trainer’s and there was conflict. As is often the case with some of these horse deals, there were strings attached: she bought Silas from Crystal, a NATRC (competitive trail, endurance riding’s sister sport) rider who lives down near Austin. The deal was supposed to be, if Donna did not keep him he would revert back to Crystal - however she’s in a cramped space and didn’t really have room to take him back either.

Since word has trickled around that Dr. J is horse-shopping, of course I’ve been deluged with offers. When I saw Donna posting pictures of the ball pythons she’s recently purchased, I joked with her that I could’ve made her a heck of a deal when I was rehoming Zach’s snakes! Then I mentioned Barry and it was as if I’d hit the jackpot - we soon worked out this trade. As it turns out, my son told me a little white lie when he bought Barry - he had told me he was $800, but then when I was telling him about this python-for-a-pony swap he said he had actually been $1000. So I think we both got a pretty good deal - I took Silas out last Saturday and he performed admirably, although I can tell he’s deconditioned - but what the hell, so am I! I was alarmed at Donna‘s drawn and haggard appearance - she has had digestive issues since her surgery and suffers from maldigestion/malabsorption. Donna and I were much alike: plump but not grossly obese… I can’t see any circumstances under which I would subject myself to bariatric surgery; I’ve seen too many complications.

                                             Donna & Stryker (an After photo)
 
                                             Photos do not do justice to Barry’s iridescent sheen
                                             “Before” photo w/Donna’s Arabian Stormy
                                                       Barry be nice! No bitey!




5 comments:

  1. My obese female neighbor had weight loss surgery - went to Mexico for it. Recommended it to me as she told me that all she was able to "eat" were smoothies. I told her I was not interested. She later died due to this at an early age.

    To be honest, your friend Donna looks horrible now. She has aged terribly. Her body may look better but her face tells it all.

    I hope Donna enjoys Barry. I would not. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh - I know I have written in the past about my horrific family history w/bariatric surgery: my 26-year old cousin died of sepsis when I was a teenager, while her mom (my aunt) initially lost tons of weight, but regained "with interest" and also died relatively young at age 70. Not to mention I have seen multiple clients over the years who have suffered poor results. I was shocked to see Donna face-to-face after only seeing her happily-ever-after social media posts - no lie, she has aged 20 yrs! I'll keep my body fat & my relatively unwrinkled face, thanks...

      Delete
    2. ...which sounds very shallow & self-centered, bcz of course the bottom line is your HEALTH should matter first & foremost! I've been stable at this weight for about 5 yrs now; I'll be satisfied never losing another ounce if only I could regain some of my stamina!

      Delete
    3. My neighbor was 59. You and I both know that we can lose more weight NATURALLY and SAFELY if we both had this as our main priority. These people become obsessed with thinking that weight loss will solve all of their problems and we know better. We have lives. Being overweight is just one of my problems I am working on. Donna looks like she needs a blood transfusion. Hopefully she has a good doctor. I am all about how I feel and what I can do. Losing 40 pounds accomplished a lot for me. I never want to weigh 115 pounds again like I did most of my life even after having my son in my 30s. Never was fat until after menopause. I was sick all of the time when I was thin and people my age do better with a little meat on their bones. Plus some of my excess weight is actually lose skin, though I still have plenty of spare fat to shed.

      Delete
  2. One of those "right place, right time, right circumstance" things. They happen, to counterbalance all the "wrong place" kinds of coincidences!

    May you both have joy in the exchange!

    ReplyDelete