Saturday, October 21, 2023

Lull in the Action

 As much as I have pledged to quit wasting so much time on social media, no doubt screentime is a form of addiction. Yet it does serve a vital purpose: “virtual emotional support”, let’s call it?

I went ahead and let this weekend off stand for me - originally I was planning to go to our AERC National Championship Ride (just as a spectator; I’m in no shape to ride nor could Christina break free to ride Baraq in my stead) but I’ve been diverted by Sam into going to the nearby NATRC ride this afternoon to ride Mr Silas tomorrow morning. I’ve burned up this free time with busywork**, although Zach granted me a few hours Thursday afternoon where we visited the Dallas World Aquarium (in essence a small private zoo built on the edge of downtown Dallas). I was impressed by the Orinoco crocodiles & the manatee! (I wonder how they secured a permit?)

** social media being both a blessing and a curse: I made a post in my long-haul Covid group on Reddit; judgment was rained down upon me for not taking more time to “rest” and/or delegate activities. I don’t think they know how private veterinary practice works - even if I worked for one of the corporations, I would only get “X” number of sick days per year. If I didn’t make production numbers, I would be fired. An exposition on how business corporations are ruining veterinary medicine just like they have ruined human healthcare in the US would be something I don’t have time for right now!

                                                   Smudged plexiglass between Z & an ocelot 



                             I had lunch w/Karen & her grandbaby yesterday 



2 comments:

  1. Pick your industry... "unbridled corporate greed" is indeed a factor in just about all of them! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about social media but my friends keep me connected and sane.

    Glad to see Sam taking care of you and getting you the rest you need with Mr. Silas.

    That Aquarium/Zoo sounds awesome. I love places like that and am glad Z was able to go.

    I loved the pictures! I like seeing you relax. We all have to find balance in life.

    ReplyDelete