Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Baby Steps

 I have haphazardly followed the teachings of Maria Cilley, aka the FlyLady, for quite a while - her best advice is “Baby Steps” - when you have an overwhelming tower of Things To Do, start with one small task at a time.

We finally have electricity at the workshop after a vehement argument with Oncor yesterday morning - the lady on the telephone claimed we had a meter when we were standing there looking at the vacant spot ourselves! A technician arrived shortly before 11 AM to set the new meter, but that put us a day behind on the electrician’s crew installing the plugs for the van and the trailers to use as  temporary power while they rewire the workshop. 

The next challenge will be getting our water supply set up - the tank is supposed to be delivered today. Again, when I was on the phone with their representative yesterday, she reminded me that there had been a hurricane in Florida - oh really?!? (Sarcasm alert - Ian nearly derailed our Pensacola weekend, but the Florida panhandle barely got any rain, thank goodness!) “IF” the tank arrives today, I can call the plumbers out to hook us up… Then I can call the septic tank guy so we can see where we stand there.

On & on & on & on…

I can remind myself of my own resilience - I didn’t think I had the fortitude for our fun-filled Florida weekend, but even though I was not feeling the greatest I had a good time: as much from appreciating my staff‘s enjoyment as anything - they are a fun bunch to hang out with! I suggested our Saturday excursion to Fort Pickens to do something a little bit different than just frying ourselves on the beach, and it seems everyone enjoyed it. It was a lot of hiking around, but by steadily and slowly trudging onwards, I kept up even though I felt like everyone’s grandma.






3 comments:

  1. Even the crane looks like it's having a fine time... and I think I detect a smile on the human faces, too. Glad are making progress, even if it does feel like baby steps at times. A year from now this will seem like "long ago when we first got set-up".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also try to practice Flylady advice and keep chipping away at it. It does work but is irritating for someone wired like me who wants everything done yesterday. LOL.

    Your trip was a real blessing for your staff. You are one awesome boss.

    You are making progress. Keep a stiff upper lip - I know you will.

    ReplyDelete