Friday, October 28, 2022

A Murder of Crows

 As I was prepping feed buckets for my ponies 2 mornings ago, I heard a cacophony of crows - something had them going in the wooded patch behind my barn. Then I saw reinforcements to their flock also flying in that direction, cawing loudly - it was quite impressive! I wish I had seen what their aggravation was: a hawk or an owl possibly?

Thunder is grumbling this morning - although it hasn’t rained yet, I’m sure it’s going to… I’ve got my trailer hitched up and backed down to the barn so I can head out to the nearby campground this evening. A damp trail ride without mileage credit is better than nothing and it’ll be good to hang out with my friends.

My mom understandably is not happy being in the full-care portion of her facility but I don’t think it can be helped at the present time. Sonia can’t be there 24/7 and I don’t have the stamina to pull a second or third shift either - I’m doing all I can to get through my daily slate of appointments. I went by yesterday to have my blood drawn to recheck my thyroid levels. The clinic bank account is slowly being replenished but I’m only just now choosing what portions of what bills to pay - my dedicated employees deserve to get paid first.


                                          (Not my photo but there were probably twice as many crows!)


3 comments:

  1. Understand the transition for your mom and that it's hard on both Sonia and you... we went through this with my dad, 23 years back, where it was obvious that he could not be left on his own, even overnight. Even with four daughters in town, we could not cover it. We had families and school and jobs... even in shifts it was not possible. Sometimes it cannot be helped.

    Hope things continue to improve. And that you have a peace-inducing ride this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when the crows get rowdy, so noisy! I hope mom isn't in a lot of pain. That can exacerbate and already cranky temper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love crows and we have a lot here. They think I feed them because they eat what I put in the compost pile. LOL.

    Went through the same with mom. Frail old men and old women need around the clock care. It takes a village.

    ReplyDelete