Monday, August 29, 2022

Que Sera, Sera

 I hospitalized Clarice on IV fluids & antibiotics last week (Mon - Thurs) in one last-ditch effort to support her through post-op pancreatitis with impaired kidney function (her WBC count was 32K, creat 3.1 for any of those interested in “cold hard numbers”) - not necessarily disastrous, but very serious in my Ancient One!

She perked up quite a bit (although normal mentation has never returned), Kristy took fabulous care of her while Misti & I completed our mission of retrieving our new “home base”, the mobile unit, from Pensacola. Unfortunately it drizzled rain on us from the moment we landed, so we had a nice meal, then hung out in our hotel room, resting up for the big push home Thursday. Travel was uneventful (Big Bertha actually handles quite nicely) & we pulled into Red Oak shortly before 9 PM (a little over 12 hrs on the road). Clarice declined again after IV support withdrawn - I really thought I was losing her Saturday night but she’s still breathing this AM. She will still eat if hand-fed, but I’ll recheck her bloodwork today to help me with my decision. I know the time for heroics is past, I’m not going to turn her into a Zombie Dog experiment.

This next series of obstacles looms before me like a steeplechase as we work through our last couple of weeks of appointments before shutting down operations in Red Oak & packing up for our transit to Ferris. We should be closing on Ferris property on Wednesday (have I heard anything more from the ambitious city planners of Ferris? That would be “No”!**); I need to put my architect & construction crew on alert so we can start ASAP (improved fencing first), then line up WATER (I’ve spoken to a company that supplies water to construction sites - we should be able to have our own little supply tank while I fight things out with the city to try to get city water to the property).

I had to block Alex after several weeks of increasing drama for my own sanity - the lifeline is withdrawn & Romeo & Juliet are going to have to figure things out, I’ve got enough to deal with in my own backyard. Someone tried to hack my debit card Friday (WalMart in Bentonville AR?) so I had to cancel it - I can work off clinic MC while they issue me a new one… Zach needs to sort out his fall semester expenses (he should still be able to draw tuition from his college fund, but we seem to go round & round about this every time he registers), and when we are able to talk face-to-face we need to have a serious conversation about downsizing his collection. He’s GOT to concentrate on schoolwork as he enters what I hope is his final push to get that bachelor’s degree.

                   Still eating!


**if by some miracle we do work out a deal on this Ferris property? it would be great to have it strictly from the standpoint of the nice barns and pens, some of which could be converted to dog kennels since we don’t have a great percentage of our practice as large animal work. But I don’t have any more time to wait I have to have a place to park and work!

2 comments:

  1. Little Clarice is a tough little girl. Reminds me of Blocker. We gave Blocker a good life and she didn't want to leave us. She loved life. I am praying for Clarice and you. Hugs.

    Big Bertha looks awesome! I hope you can get city water. Ferris needs to man up!

    Alex and this girl need to level out or end it. I hope Zack listens to your advice.

    ReplyDelete