Friday, August 19, 2022

A Man of Action

 As I type this, my “man of action”** is probably having his breakfast before he continues his expedition to Denver for this mysterious health-related seminar. He has suffered a mild regain, which as we all know is not uncommon in your weight loss/self-improvement efforts. I peeked at his last weigh-in sheet from the supplement store, which showed he had regained about 12 pounds 3 wks ago - watching him walk around the house these days, I think it’s probably pushing 20 pounds now. Of course that’s not the end of the world, but I can tell how much he hates it - he has buckled down on salad consumption and don’t even ask about a splurge at a restaurant! He will still occasionally go to the custom pizza place in town where he can get a cauliflower crust pizza…

** in this endless death-by-1000-cuts relocation scheme, I could call the first major step the disassembling and reassembling of a metal run-in shed that was in the backyard of the clinic. There was no point in me leaving it for the wrecking ball - our own modest shed (built by ex almost 30 yrs ago) got blown over a couple of years ago…

The guys got it up just in the nick of time as we had long-awaited rain Wednesday night to break our horrendous drought - we let the ponies have the run of the property while they were working and Tuesday night one of our neighbors texted to say a couple of the horses had gotten out on the road. I had just showered off but Peran dashed out to start rounding them up - when I griped at him for not answering his phone (I was trying to coordinate this roundup) he made the quip about being a "man of action". It made me snort and diffused the tension - of course it’s always scary when livestock gets out & I freely admit my patience is thin these days!

Clarice continues her slow decline as I play phone tag with the surgery center - if I can’t get a definitive answer today I’m gonna put her on my own table, damn the torpedoes!

I can’t give up on such a voracious appetite and will to live
Izzy is helping with the "intensive care" (she knows Mommy is upset)


It may not look like much from here, but this is awesome shade for the ponies
 in our drought-ravaged pasture

Meanwhile, the extent of Mom's "self-care" is taking Z for some back-to-school shopping
at NorthPark Mall; we have hiked many a mile down these corridors!

I did splurge on a pair of Doc Martens for myself, I hope they prove to be comfortable on my ol' crooked toes. I'm glad to see Z tackling the new semester with renewed enthusiasm (no he didn't pass Calculus last spring, but "the 3rd time's the charm"!







1 comment:

  1. I kind of like the Man Of Action dude. I prefer men to rush in and corral the cattle. So glad the horses are okay. I am fried when I see animals on the road. I love that view and am sure the horses will love the shade.

    Ian always loved Doc Martens.

    I sent a prayer for Clarice. Do what you think is best. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete