Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Bitter Dregs

 … as I learn something new every day! The world has suffered a couple more significant losses: Bill Russell, the great basketball player and Nichelle Nichols, Lieutenant Uhura of Star Trek fame. This week the television station is airing a tribute of the best episodes featuring Uhura: last night it was “Plato’s Stepchildren”, which is on many fans’ lists as one of the worst episodes. Yes it’s cheesy but it has many (in my opinion) touching and heartfelt moments - it happens to be one of my faves and not just for the momentous interracial kiss between Kirk & Uhura.

I never knew until I just looked up the lyrics that the song sung by Spock was actually written by Leonard Nimoy himself and is titled “Maiden Wine”, not “Bitter Dregs”… 


Take care, young ladies, and value your wine
Be watchful of young men in their velvet prime
Deeply they'll swallow from your finest kegs
Then swiftly be gone, leaving bitter dregs
Ahh-ah-ah-ah, bitter dregs
With smiling words and tender touch
Man offers little and asks for so much
He loves in the breathless excitement of night
Then leaves with your treasure in cold morning light
Ahh-ah-ah-ah, in cold morning light


The gigantic dirty snowball rolling downhill from the avalanche of my life continues to bear down upon me, but regardless of all I OUGHT to be doing, I’m going to go to the trail ride this weekend which is not for any points or mileage - just a fun social event at the Shanghai Pierce Ranch near Houston. I have not completed a single endurance event this season, but there is hope as I manufacture the final timeline for shutdown of my Red Oak location: there will be a short pause in operations so I can catch a breather and go to a couple of fall rides. I just have to fine-tune this calendar.

We have blocked off appointments after September 1 - & will probably schedule needed things for sick patients & the like the first two weeks of September, but then I believe we will  metaphorically hang up our “Gone Fishing” sign (for me of course that’s “Gone Riding”!) and take a brief sabbatical as we relocate and hopefully rejuvenate… I cannot see myself continuing to “go hard in the paint” like this for any length of time unless I get to feeling better - It is just NOT WORTH IT! My husband’s gonna have to step up, my son’s gonna have to do the same, and my dear mother needs to get off my back. 




3 comments:

  1. Good job prioritizing that weekend ride! Self-care, recuperation... onward... in that order?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree about P. Z, and your mom. It's time for them to pick up the slack. Man up, woman up. Stop being another nail in your coffin.

    You desperately need some down time. Some time to recuperate. To chill out. Does P never want to go on rides? This sounds like one he could go on. I found that getting away from home can sometimes be a refresher for stale marriages.

    ReplyDelete