Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Full Cronehood

Now that I’m almost 4 yrs into complete menopause, where do I line up to get my Crone pin?
Too bad I don’t wear broaches. The aging process continues, inexorable & inescapable - if recent events like the sudden untimely death of 61-yr old Ginger (ascending aortic aneurysm) & abrupt news of my farrier’s congestive heart failure aren’t enough to convince me to Get Busy Living, then nothing will. So yeah, I’m going to this yoga retreat in Mexico even if I can’t convince any other friends to accompany me. #YOLO as the kids say!

"Blue Monday" [actually RED]

Monday, May 17, 2010

After skipping a couple of months & filling me w/blissful hope that "This Was It", my perimenopausal reproductive-metabolism has gifted me w/another period...
I always hated all those cute & not-so-cute metaphors: The Curse, a visit from Aunt Flo, [insert your own catchphrase here].
I quirked my eyebrow in disdain in my younger years at the women who hunched over their heating pads at "that time of the month", popping Advil or Midol as they complained bitterly of bloating, cramps, & other ill effects of what, after all, is supposed to be a perfectly normal & healthy physiologic function...
However, as my ovarian clock starts to slow down [I'm skipped a few periods over the past couple of yrs; my ob/gyn has pronounced me "perimenopausal" & I've been spoiled by "3-d specials" - one day of moderate flow & a couple days' of spotting], I have noticed more than anything that my mildly debilitating PMS symptoms have intensified: a crushing but thankfully short-lived wave of depression, irritability, water retention, & chocolate cravings...
I've heard several of my contemporaries describe as That Feeling of Imminent Doom, esp when accompanied by those glorious night sweats! - but the description is apt no matter what time The Feeling strikes - a horrible sense of unworthiness & impending disaster...
No matter - I'm doing my best to Stay the Course here; I know things will improve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment