Saturday, January 19, 2019

Howling Cold Winds

The Ft Worth Stock Show Parade was canceled today for only the 2nd time that I know of... While the weather can be marginal & is often cold & rainy, most years “the show must go on!”
Now **I** haven’t ridden the Parade in about 27 yrs, since Michael & I did it with his LTV coworkers. Maybe next year?
What a deep abiding sense of relief to have my Moonshine home, even if it’s predicated upon poor Rodney’s illness. Mommy’s so sorry my darling, I never ever NEVER should have sent ya away! I’ll bundle up to go down to the barn in a few to massage your poor scarred nose...

"Day 16: Recommitting"

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

As I mentioned yesterday, I started my week tired & stressed...
Once again I allowed myself to be swept up in cyberspace [yes I know, how ironic that I'm bitching about it here!] & let my lunch hour pass w/out a gym visit. I use blog-surfing as a distraction & stress relief, not to mention on some of my busier sites I will occasionally come across a stimulating discussion; it can make you think!
So I dropped by the gym for a "quickie" last night; 35 min on TM. I can't do aerobic exercise too close to bedtime, otherwise I can't get to sleep, but I finished it up shortly after 8 PM which worked out OK. 
The thought occurred to me how I will NOT take anything for granted when I succeed in peeling off this excess weight... I will not forget this painful & lonely time. 
[Strange that I've tried to recruit hubby in my fitness & weight loss efforts multiple times over the years, but he either never gets on board to begin with, or never stays w/me for long... Not my problem, is it?]
Also thankful to report that my dad is fine; had dinner w/the folks last night (soup & salad) & I pointedly left my bottle of electrolyte tablets w/MOM, who will enforce their administration! 

Day 24: Deja Vu All Over Again

Thursday, June 03, 2010

If only I had a small sum awarded to me for each failure to complete a ride - well, it might not be enough to fill the gas tank in the motorhome, but it wouldn't be an inconsequential sum...
I did it AGAIN last weekend w/a stunning combination of poor planning, tough trails, & an all-around hard day: Baraq & I finished the 50-mi distance, but he was too footsore, tired & weary to pass the final vet check. 
Therefore almost 11 hrs of effort went for naught!
A.) I didn't pack extra electrolyte powder for the horses. [my failure to double-check Maddie's packing]
B.) I didn't retrieve some of my HUMAN electrolyte tablets from my dad, which means I started getting overheated & dehydrated on the 2nd loop; if ride management hadn't had big Igloos of a human electrolyte drink at regular intervals, I probably would have had to quit. I had several "low spells" throughout the day, fought nausea at several points which I KNEW would have been my quitting point if I had succumbed...
C.) Failure to replace the rabbit-chewed tubing on my Camelback last week, so I had to ration out my water - see Footnote B above!

Anyway, berating myself for my shortcomings is pointless, other than reminding myself to do better next time - the problem is, there won't BE an official "next time" before the Tevis; this will be my last scheduled endurance ride. Only training rides between now & then!
I had planned to go the ride in the Panhandle next weekend, but there's no point in investing in that haul w/a marginal mount. We'd just rack up another resounding failure.
I'll have to get to the "Deja Vu" aspects in another post...
Needless to say I was shocked & horrified, studying my profile in the mirror on Monday-after-the-ride. Poor posture, no bra [my great idea of protecting my cleavage w/Band-aids on Sat didn't work either, so I got horribly chafed!], & an unflattering skort did not help anything.
Don't worry, I'm not ABOUT to post any pictures
Nothing else to be gained by sitting around & meditating about this, so I try to pick up the pieces & carry on... 


No comments:

Post a Comment