Sunday, August 23, 2026

Today & Tomorrow

 There is nowhere to go but onward - my obsessing about the past will never resurrect it.

This morning Katie-mule failed to come up for breakfast - when I went out looking for her,  I found her dead in the bottom pasture, stretched out peacefully with no signs of a struggle. She had a minor episode of colic last month - I’ve been mixing up rice bran water for the ponies, but it isn’t as if I can bring them into the AC to rescue them from this oppressive heat; it’s already 95° & climbing at 11 AM this morning.

I had given consideration to taking a short ride by myself to lick my wounds from yesterday’s rejection. Karen had texted me about a juvenile red-eared slider brought into their clinic yesterday morning - the corner of his shell was cracked clear through (a glancing blow from an auto tire). We both needed to go by the feed store, but when I suggested that we grab a bite she accused me of “always looking for an excuse to eat” - ouch! Mea culpa for finding pleasure in socializing over a meal, but Karen & I had not met up for several weeks - to me it seemed like a good chance to kill two birds with one stone!

I realize she’s been incredibly busy: helping to raise her granddaughter, mediating the conflict between her  young adult daughters (I think Karen displays a marked preference towards Teen Mom Melissa but that’s a subject for another post!), but “I Yam what I Yam” - my predilection toward restaurant meals ain’t gonna change this late in the game! It’s too damn hot to cook anyway - last night I made a pot of rice & whipped up a nice Diane sauce for some leftover steak, yet I almost had to vacate the kitchen, all puns intended… There was no where to go to get out of the heat that’s for sure!

But regardless of my self-pity, I’ve got to go check on my tiny patient & get a few things done, despite this devitalizing heat. September is right around the corner - where did August go??

No comments:

Post a Comment