Sunday, August 2, 2026

Enablers

 (aka “Best Laid Plans”)

Of course, if you build something up in your own mind, the reality is bound to be a disappointment… I had high hopes for my little “Mommy & Me” weekend, when Victoria was traveling to a bachelorette weekend in Florida. The possibilities were endless: Z even mentioned a quick “return to Vegas” weekend but that was a little too high-stakes for me; Mommy suggested a road trip. Then of course it’s my own damn fault for envisioning/half-planning a West Texas trip: a return to Balmorhea & Fort Davis, where we toured when Zach was 12. (I bought day passes to Balmorhea since their entries are limited, but in the end that was just a $14 donation to TPWD. Thank goodness I hadn’t made hotel reservations!)

Originally, I had hoped Zach would be able to cut loose by Thursday night, but he got held up by complications at work & had to putter around most of the day Friday. In the end, we decided on an overnight trip to OKC - where Z travels quite frequently for work; he wanted to show me some of the sights. Unfortunately V was not having a great time in sunny FL & Z was having to field many calls from her… (9 girls in a bridal party sounds huge, so obviously there were many opportunities for interpersonal conflict!?!) We stopped to have a nice dinner along the way, where I gently asked Zach how many times had V called him today? He admitted “5 or 6” but I guarantee she had tried to call at least 10 or 12 times - if he didn’t answer immediately, she would call back again - a very annoying habit in Val’s book! (I had to disabuse P of that habit years ago when he was traveling - he also would try to call me multiple times; when I called him back I would say I’m no more likely to answer the second or third time in a row you called than I was the first!)

At any rate, by the time we made it to our hotel (we stayed in the historic Fordson which was very nice), V had worked herself into an intoxicated lather, so poor Z spent over an hour trying to calm her down… I tried to tell him there’s no reasoning with drunkenness! That should give them some good material to thrash out with their couples therapist [sarcasm]. But overall I think we made the best of it - OKC was very clean & quite impressive: we had a great luncheon at the historic Cattlemen's Restaurant & doodled around their stockyards & farmers market a little bit. I bought Twoie a new halter & upgraded my wallet - everyone was enchanted by Tina Fea, the tiny dog in her tiny carrier 💕 Fell into my own bed exhausted last night & slept for 9.5 hrs - unprecedented!

I will post a few photos after I go through the tedious transfer processes - I titled this post thusly as I continue to fret about things that are outside my control. One could also posit that P enables me since he is tasked with being my farmhand - I couldn’t keep up with my place without his help. A few friends competed in yesterday’s Tevis ride as I ponder when & where I’ll make my next meager 25-mi attempt.

I also got the sad news that my friend Carla‘s dad has passed away (age 97) so I’ve got to squeeze in an appearance at his memorial service Monday…


2 comments:

  1. I guess we are all enablers at some level! Getting a son alone? Might be a bit much for us moms to ask? I do get the occasional phone call and that's our best communication. When there's family and dogs and all... not so much. But we take what we can get, eh, Val?

    Glad you got that OKC weekend! (And I've already peeked at the photo dump, smiling at the finger shot)!

    ReplyDelete