Friday, August 28, 2026

The Next Phase

 The unknown future rolls toward us. I face it for the first time with a sense of hope, because if a machine, a Terminator, can learn the value of human life, maybe we can, too.

Here Val goes again, drawing inspiration from old sci-fi… (and now I’ve messed up my usual font but I seem to be unable to fix it so I’ll carry on)

I know I’ve made references to sawing through that gnarly ol’ umbilical cord for quite a while now, but Zach beat me to it. Last week I traded in my little baby Buick which was getting to “that age” when more repairs would be piling up. The strange thing is, Zach & Victoria had been entertaining themselves by test-driving some vehicles a couple of weeks ago, but he found a couple of prospects for me. So I suffered through the interminable ordeal of buying this car last week, but unfortunately the dealership did not configure my LoJack anti-theft system! I had to go back up yonder yesterday - since I would be “passing through the neighborhood” I decided to stop by to see Zach…

I beat Zach home by a bit, only to hear these timeless words after he got home & we observed the pleasantries: “Mom, I have some things I need to tell you”! I’ll spare you the tedious blow-by-blow, but Queen Vic is holding some grudges against me for past transgressions, which include feeding the snake in their bathtub (this is an incident that occurred 3 yrs ago, before I bought Mila her new habitat), & intruding without an engraved invitation (I’ve always called or texted, never dropping in unannounced although admittedly - especially when I’m delivering gifts or supplies! I have given them admittedly short notice so mea culpa on that). Bottom line, sounds as if future social interactions will be by (their) invitation only. Even though part of me is annoyed, another part is relieved as all this recent “drama” has been frustrating… Being forced to step back is actually a relief - I need to let Zach figure out these grown-up problems on his own. “A son is a son till he takes a wife”, indeed!

Zach is lucky that his mom is the “slow burn” type; I don’t want his marriage to fail, but he may find things are harder than he predicted when:

A.) Mom doesn’t immediately answer nor return texts & calls right away. The newlywed rollercoaster has been a little “too much”! I immediately dropped what is probably an annoying habit in Z’s eyes (even if he didn’t complain about it): sending him & occasionally V interesting or noteworthy links from my perusings of the news & social media. Here’s a good one concerning Trump’s latest idiocy

B.) Z is way overdue picking up the tabs for his cell phone (!!!), car insurance & multiple streaming services. The newlyweds have built up quite an impressive anchor of credit card debt as they are preparing to return yet again to Vegas for Labor Day weekend. Again, Z will have to figure this out… My son “may” have a gambling problem.

C.) This makes me seriously consider changing my will, since part of Z’s long-term plan seems to be counting on a substantial inheritance from Yours Truly. I made the mistake of informing him a while back that “All This Shall Be Yours” even though I will, of course, allow Peran to live on the farm as long as he wishes to if I predecease him (a “life estate”, if memory serves). With what feels like the worsening state of my health these days, these are true concerns.

In other news, I do plan to make at least one more attempt at an endurance event the first weekend of October. A successful completion would do my mood a world of good!


No comments:

Post a Comment