Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Bamboozled

 Absolutely just trying to keep putting one foot in front of the other, even when I’m tempted to crumple onto the floor (my bathroom floor these days, right in front of my cozy propane heater!). This cold weather ain’t helpful to my productivity - I need to recheck my thyroid levels just to certain all is well, but still desperately strapped-for-cash…

Nevertheless, I zipped away for a quick campout with my trail riding buddies last weekend, that math was fairly easy:

$150 in diesel fuel

$100 campground fees

$45 in snacks/shareable food items (chips & dip, a shrimp tray, cheese board, etc)

Time with friends/good day of riding = PRICELESS!!!

We had perfect clear sunny weather Saturday morning; Mr Silas gave my friend’s son’s GF a great experience. Carissa had ridden as a child but had not sat a horse in probably a decade. A cold front with drizzling rain rolled in on us Saturday afternoon, but we made the best of it, utilizing the cabin’s screened porch & covered gazebos.


                              Mr Silas was tired after a solid day’s work (approx 10 mi on challenging trails)
                                                           Susie & Rocky
                                    Carla’s son Victor aboard his dad’s Belgian mule Kate
                       Victor lead-lined Carissa initially while she was figuring things out 
                                         Down by the riverside


I had no earthly business running away from my responsibilities like this, but got new work crew started on clinic - finishing out lobby/exam rooms/lab & pharmacy area so we can move ourselves in and I can sell Big Bertha the mobile unit. Surgery/radiology & the kennels will have to wait - we can continue to work out of the surgery trailer for now. My mother is clamoring to move back to the Villages but I don’t see any earthly way to make that happen for her before the holidays. (And while I think it would be a poor choice, it’s her life & I don’t want her to be miserable - she is still mentally competent.) But I have not made any decisions yet - I can only imagine Zach’s consternation. Let’s face it, the poor woman is determined to be miserable wherever she might be; all she can talk about is her strong desire to rejoin my dad…


5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very reasonable price tag to save your sanity. Glad you could get away for a while. Loved the pictures!

    The huge project is nearing completion. I hope you will share pictures of it.

    Why do you think your mother preferred the Villages? Moving her back and forth all the time can't possibly be good for her. My dad spent from 1998 until he died a few years ago at 87 stating he wanted to join my step-mom in death. I know for a fact that he was that way only when I was around. He had an active social life until he died. Maybe your mom is less miserable than she lets on too. I certainly hope so. If she is miserable then she bears some responsibility for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's where the "Bamboozle" title came from - my mom does seem to save her most miserable moments for Yours Truly. I have actually caught her "out & about" at the facility a few times although I keep looking for evidence that she's made a true friend or two...

      Delete
    2. It's my hope for my own situation and for all of us here that we don't end up like your mom, causing the same problem for our loved ones. I've always said that we are responsible for our own happiness. That being said, don't allow your mom to steal your joy. If she were thinking right she would not want that.

      Delete
  2. I agree with 'tish. I bet she wants to keep you in line. Sorry for you, it's a tough guilt trip. At the end of the day, I think you've been doing what's best for her, even if she can't see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with MorticiaAddams about the reasonable price tag for sanity! Hope things keep moving in the right direction on the building. And remember to breathe while letting your mom be as miserable as she wants to be. Sigh!

    And (( hugs )). Can't forget the hugs!

    ReplyDelete