Sunday, December 3, 2023

PEM

 Post-Exercise Malaise, another component of Val’s symptoms… Even if I do something very minor: a new short yoga sequence, mostly seated, consisting primarily of stretches & twists, I felt a dip in Ye Olde Energy Levels the next day, with minor soreness of upper back & shoulders. Of course part of that is also being totally deconditioned, but quite demoralizing nonetheless…

Yesterday I drove into downtown Big D at the crack of dawn, my 5th year (!!! How time flies!) of serving as veterinary steward for our Dallas Holiday Parade. One of my clients serves on the volunteer committee - I guess I work real cheap 😊; give me a parking pass & a seat in the bleachers & I’ll be there! I have invited friends, family, employees but everyone’s got their own holiday groove going on…

I started to title this “Enforced Holiday Cheer” bcz that’s what it felt like - who can believe it’s December already?!? Another variety of PEM from yesterday’s hike, approx 5K going back & forth to the parade “VIP” bleachers. I gave serious consideration to getting myself a hotel room, but couldn’t justify the expense or stimulate DH’s interest - even shopping last-minute deals, nothing could be had for less than $200/night.



                                   Since when did Darth Vader become festive??!!??

                                                                   Who ya gonna call?

The whole reason I was there - standby in case of any incidents with the parade horses. We only had 3 equestrian groups, kinda sad - in our tiny Bristol Fourth of July parade I believe we’ve got more ponies!



5 comments:

  1. More reasons to "pace yourself": PEM! Yikes.

    I find the older I get the more I have to do just that: pace myself. But the parade looks lovely, and yes, Darth Vader is "festive" to a portion of the fanbase!

    Hope you have a restorative week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sick from one of the 3 major respiratory communicable diseases right now so not much breath to do any exercising. Most likely it is Covid for my second bout with it. Nothing like the first bout but just as horrible. Benny got it at the oncology unit November 15 and was symptomatic on the 17th. I was symptomatic on the 19th. Could not smell nor taste the Thanksgiving meal I made. As usual he is improving. I am slow to recover.

    Soooooooooooo no holiday spirit here. Benny decorated for the holiday outside.

    Loved the parade pictures! I once had a dress like the queen's dress. Beautiful horses. I love Darth Vader and since I have been sick I breathe like he does. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear. So sorry you're not well, and sending wishes for a speedy recovery!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I am too old for this crap! LOL.

      Delete