Saturday, December 30, 2023

Challenges

 My ongoing challenge, first & foremost, is SURVIVAL until I can reassemble my shattered financial base: float myself a short-term loan from retirement account (might as well write off any dreams of retirement, honeybun - ha ha!), finish remodeling so we can move into “the front end” (reception/exam rooms/pharmacy & lab) of our building, get Bertha sold, get the Mesquite house sold… Phase 2 will be finishing out surgery, radiology, & kennels - then I’ll be able to sell off the surgery trailer, be back in full production, and rebuild my devastated bank accounts…

But in the meantime I signed myself up for a distraction: the Northwood Farms 12-wk Horsemanship Challenge. I’ve participated in years past - once with Scarlett, another year with Baraq. It’s a Facebook group whose purpose is to keep equestrians active & engaged during the worst part of winter: achieving 30 rides & 40 hours of training (which can include groundwork or driving exercises) over the first 12 weeks of 2024. We’ve got it pretty good down here in Texas, where the weather isn’t too extreme - but it’s interesting to read the posts of folks up north, “dashing through the snow” or coming up with arena exercises…

I notified folks in my trail riders group - the deadline to register is tonight (12/30), but whose post did I see last night but my frenemy KS in the Panhandle. I thought to myself “Once a liar, always a liar” as she had posted a mini-photo montage, saying this was she & her gelding “in Quitaque”. While it’s true, the first 2 photos were from that Pole Canyon ride, the last panoramic portrait is from Ft Stanton. How long does it take to caption a photo correctly? Yes, I am a stickler for accuracy - not to mention this is a nationwide group; I wouldn’t want to mislead anyone who saw this beautiful scenery (not that Quitaque doesn’t have some nice scenery too)


Or you could just say that Val is being bitchy, which would also be true. Doesn’t seem like I can escape Those Whom I’d Rather Avoid wherever I go… I haven’t looked at this weekend’s ride stats to see if She Who Shall Not Be Named is there (I’m certain she is; it’s too close to home!)
Yet here I sit, with my cooling cup of coffee. However, I’m planning a ride mañana since Kerry only scheduled a 2-d event this year. Sam had mentioned camping out tonight, but I can’t take the cold without an electrical hookup. Guess I’m turning into a wimp when it doesn’t count for points or mileage.
Another challenge for today shall be coaxing my mom into another shower: the “Saturday night bath” can enjoy a resurgence! Lord grant me strength.


2 comments:

  1. OK, Lord, I'll add my two cents "grant Val strength" and "grant her mom compliance in hygiene!" I like the idea of the 12 week "get through the worst of Winter" challenge, horsemanship edition. I do hope we'll hear/read a bit about it as it goes on!

    As for me, contemplating what I want to do to "get through Winter" myself... gonna be a busy week ahead.

    Hugs & Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here. Just treading water - trying to reach the shore. If I can live long enough. I am sending a prayer for you and everyone who responds to your blogs and I hope they do the same because all of us have challenges and we need help.

    I drive by our local saddle club every time we come home from town and have not seen any activity there in quite a while. It kind of saddens me. I am so glad that you are taking the challenge. I hope some of your real friends join in. You NEED this! Winter here is so gloomy it drives everyone bonkers.

    Oh my! The Saturday night bath thing has me needing an ammonia bag under my nose. LOL. I injured my right wrist and my chief concern is getting my twice daily bath/hydrotherapy in or I will be miserable. I wished I live closer as I would certainly have no qualms about helping to wrestle your mom into the shower. One of Benny's close friends was an infrequent bather. It goes without saying that he and I were not close nor friends. LOL. So the wrist problem combined with my lingering post covid symptoms and Benny's chemo in 2 days has me irritable too. Sigh.

    Hugs and prayers and Happy New Year!. Onward!

    ReplyDelete