Friday, December 8, 2023

Triggers

 I wish I could identify what jolted me out of a sound sleep at 3 AM last night? But wide awake I was, and destined to stay that way for most of the remainder of the night. Of course, I dozed off briefly an hour before my alarm went off, which in some ways made for an even "ruder" awakening as that left me very groggy & out-of-sorts.

My FitBit graded this 7 hr 10 min interlude as "Good", with which I beg to differ. Felt like a pretty crappy night to me!

                                 70 min awake, and yes indeedy, I remember that at 3 AM
                                 About an hour and & half of REM sleep seems to be par for my course

                                     Almost 5 hrs of light sleep - I would've appreciated another hour


Here's the pitifully deficient area, a little under an hour in deep sleep; this seems to be a pattern for me as when I was playing "catchup" (last Sat night when I had the absolute luxury of not having to set an alarm, I clocked 2 hrs 16 min of deep sleep), yet the FitBit only graded that night as an 80, "Good", while it graded last night as an 82??
I demand to see the algorithm!


6 comments:

  1. LOL! I would love to see the algorithm, too. According to the extra info they give me in "Fitbit Premium" (something I got "free" when I bought my most recent tracker watch), 50 points (of 100 total) is based on time asleep, 25 points on Deep and REM distribution, and 25 points on "restoration", which has to do with a comparison of sleeping heart rate being below your tracked resting heart rate.

    Interesting. I was rated as an 85 last night, and only 32 minutes of that was in deep sleep, 16% of my sleep time was in REM. Restoration was the lowest of the three areas, with 69% of the time being below resting heart rate, and 9% of the time being "restless".

    That of course was one of my better nights. One of my "worst" nights that it measured gave me a "fair" score of 65. It was a night when I was ill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was jolted out of bed at 3:30 last night due to Covid symptoms and bathroom problems. Had trouble getting back to sleep but finally did and then awakened to a dream in progress close to time to get up. I don't usually remember my dreams. They are never fun. Fitbit sleep function seems to be goofy to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (It’s Val of course - my iPad likes to preserve my anonymity ;-)
      What dreams I do remember are generally unpleasant, stressful ones so yep, I’d just as soon forget ‘em! My subconscious is like a haunted house…

      Delete
    2. Love the haunted house reference. Mine are bizarre. The one last night I remembered this morning was. Totally bizarre.

      Delete
  3. I kind of rate it on my own as I've noticed the same thing. I'm a habitual 4am riser then go back to sleep around 6. The luxury of retirement! I constantly have to manually change the sleep record and find some of the scoring laughable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeppers, I think the FitBit wants me to feel better about my sleep patterns than what’s actually going down here…

      Delete