Tuesday, December 5, 2023

The Curious Case of Sirius Black

 Much easier to ramble on about my horses than to face the looming catastrophe that’s opening up under my feet like the crevasse caused by an earthquake…

When I had a few free moments yesterday afternoon, I got online to renew my AERC membership. (Don’t ask me why our ride season has always run December 1 to November 30 instead of matching the calendar year?) But I decided to try to trace down any more information on Silas - if he had an AERC registration number, I didn’t want to duplicate it. I knew Crystal is primarily a NATRC rider, but another friend (Cara) had borrowed Silas for her daughter to ride - he did not complete an event with Hanna due to no fault of his own; then she lost interest. (Apparently he bounced back to Crystal briefly before Donna bought him) I then found him under a third identity, "Sirius Black". And I also found a 4th owner along his long and winding road, Lisa Drey of Colorado. I do not know what circumstances led Lisa to giving him up? Just another minor heart-squeeze - Silas is already acting much more relaxed in my barn; he no longer flinches away when I walk up to him. Hopefully he will gain reassurance that he’s found a good place with me - even if he never completes an official endurance mile, I will take care of him. He’s a good boy.

(His AERC history has been transferred to my ownership - I’ve gotten used to calling him Silas and while I like Harry Potter, Sirius Black had a squirrely unsavory reputation and he doesn’t deserve that either)








2 comments:

  1. Sounds like Silas won the lottery finally. Finally found a permanent home. Poor guy. He has been moved around too much. I prefer Silas too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silas is one lucky equine! May your partnership bring both of you comfort and joy!

    ReplyDelete